Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Chiropractors and neurologists - valuable medical practioners >
  • Chiropractors and neurologists - valuable medical practioners

• Chiropractors and neurologists - valuable medical practioners

Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
    Google Goddess

I hope the best to all of you with medical problems!
    Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM

As with all things there are good ones and bad ones. The good ones are treasures no matter what their discipline.
    Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I feel the same way about acupuncture. If it weren't for him, I would still be in pain after back surgery. He also helps with the arthritis in my hip and knee.
    Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM

I was on a walker for three months a couple of years ago with different problems in my feet. I decided to try acupuncture when six docs and two therapists couldn't help. That's something I never would have tried a few years earlier, but was desperate. I can honestly say acupuncture has made a great difference in my quality of life. Don't give up until you've tried all options.
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
    I was on a walker for three months a couple of years ago with different problems in my feet. I decided to try acupuncture when six docs and two therapists couldn't help. That's something I never would have tried a few years earlier, but was desperate. I can honestly say acupuncture has made a great difference in my quality of life. Don't give up until you've tried all options.
    That's what this is really about - keeping an open mind about ALL the options. The older I get, the more I'm inclined to think of surgery as my LAST option. I couldn't avoid it because of cancer in '08 and '88. I have many friends who have had acupuncture help them with a variety of problems, from stopping smoking to pain management. MDs now recommend it, too, which shows that it has entered the main stream of modern medicine.
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
    Power Poster

My girlfriend's baby was breech and she was really worried so close to the delivery. She was sent to get accupuncture (which she scoffed at). Two sessions with needles poked in her feet and she said she could feel the baby turning right side up.
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM

There are wonderful Chiro's and wacky Chiro's, just like M.D.'s I usually go to my Chiro first for neck and hip, back pain because they DON'T use drugs. My situation makes them a wonderful choice for me. However I did ask a chiropractor I recently had care with if he took medicare and his wife quickly quiped "NO" we don't. That burned me up! So I asked my Naturopath the same question. They referred me to their sign refusing medicare. Heck I guess they all think they will never age! or is $$$$ all the medical people think of??? Gee that could be another thread in it's self! :? :cry: :shock:
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM

The new ostoepaths are not taught manipulation. I was told that by the residents I worked with in the OR> There is a need for both. I have had to use both. I love my chiroprater where we were raised. He is the first person I see when we go back. However I have not found one in FL that is any where near what he is. A good chriopractor would not have hurt her arm as he would have xrayed and done some investigating before he tried to move anything. I also, have seen neuro surgeons for many years. They are most as neurotic as you will ever get but they suit a purpose too. Like I said I have used both and both were successful in what they did. I would use both again.
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    There are wonderful Chiro's and wacky Chiro's, just like M.D.'s I usually go to my Chiro first for neck and hip, back pain because they DON'T use drugs. My situation makes them a wonderful choice for me. However I did ask a chiropractor I recently had care with if he took medicare and his wife quickly quiped "NO" we don't. That burned me up! So I asked my Naturopath the same question. They referred me to their sign refusing medicare. Heck I guess they all think they will never age! or is $$$$ all the medical people think of??? Gee that could be another thread in it's self! :? :cry: :shock:
    Unfortunately, the reason many chiropractors and MDs don't accept NEW Medicare patients is that Medicare barely covers their overhead for each patient. Sometimes, it doesn't even do that if the patient requires a lot of time. This sounds harsh, but it is true. And Medicare is about to REDUCE the amounts it pays.

Some MDs turn down patients with certain insurance companies, too, because they take so long to pay or because they cause expensive bookkeeping problems.
    Old 04-05-2010, 04:05 PM

As someone said it depends on the chiropractor and the doctor. After my aneurysm and re-branching surgery my vascular doctor was going to send me to a orthopedic doctor because I said I was still having pain in my left leg and groin it was also swelling which he completely ignored . Even his secretary said it didn't sound like a back problem with the swelling. Went to my chiro as soon as I could after surgery she did a few adjustments and the pain in my leg and groin went away. For the kind of surgery I had I would highly recommend my vascular surgeon. but for my back and when things are out of whack I go to my chiro. She gets rid of headaches and numbness in my feet too. I always come out of there with more energy too. However... you know you are getting old when your chiropractor went to high school with your daughter. LOL