Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To Donate or not to Donate >
  • To Donate or not to Donate

• To Donate or not to Donate

Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 AM

The school I work at asked for donations for a Christmas Silent Auction and I responded with a lap quilt I made. I supplied them with a description of the quilt, a picture and set the value at $75. They didn't use either the description or picture....called it a blanket and didn't list the value so got $15 for it. Their marketing was shameful and I won't donate again.
    Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Don't you just wish everyone could make just one quilt in their life time so they could appreciate how much work goes into a quilt. A woman at our church writes her name, date, pattern, start and finish date and how many hours she puts into it. All on a label. Some are on the front side and some on the back. Her quilts have been bringing a lot more at auction since she has added these labels.
    Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

OK, now I'm worried. I dabble in stain glass and I have committed myself to donating a panel for a silent auction. The last time I did this, the item was out of my control, out of my sight, and out of the picture, so I never found out who or what became of it. This time the item will be at my workplace. I guess I'll see what it goes for. The up side is, I didn't put the hours into it that a quilt requires. Sorry to read about all of you who spent so much time, effort, and money on what probably were some pretty awesome quilts.
    Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Give them the money. You still get the blessings and the great feelings that donating gives but keep the quilts. Just my humble opinion.
    Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
    Power Poster

I would be upset too - such a beautiful quilt so obviously undervalued. We had a bake and craft sale at work last week and had some small quilted items. One was a wall hanging and it went for $35. The other was a basic throw and while it was folded on the table, those interested could open it up and then bid. Not sure what its final amount was.

Another gal had made some pretty jewelry and someone put $10 on the sheet which I thought was rude. (It's for a fund raiser folks!!!!) So I upped the anty. She was pissed at me. So much for being charitable.
    Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM

I agree, raffles are the way to go. People who attend auctions want to get something of value for as little as possible. Plus, unless the bidders are familar with what it takes to make a quilt, the bids don't go very high. I rather give them the money and gift a quilt to someone who really needs it such as children who are in long term hospital care.
    Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM

I have to put my 2 cents in here. Years ago I helped buy ingredients for, got helpers to make and bake pies for a bake sale to benefit the homeless shelter. The pies sold for $3.50 to $5.00 each until towards the end of the event one of the organizers said she'd buy the pies that were left over for a donation...her donation amounted to $1.00 per pie. I NEVER donated to, helped make or bake another pie for that organization. This same person bought the Artisan breads that were made for the sale for 50 cents a loaf, fudge for 50 cents a plate and had EVERYTHING gone before the event even ended then she bragged about
    having all her holiday baking done and in the freezer at the next organization meeting. I was pretty furious!

On a more positive note, our quilt group made a quilt that was raffled off for a really wonderful cause. They sold tickets for months, had it on display in a number of places and business' around town and had a nice article in the newspaper about the quilt...I think they sold over $7,000 worth of tickets for the raffle. HUGE success and we, the makers of the quilt, were all thrilled.
    Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    That is just so sad. They didn't realize what they were worth.
    It is sad, you put alot of work into them.
    Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM

I have been involved in numerous activities; civic, school, church etc. for years between kids and personal activities. Here's something to think about-if you are donating to a not-for-profit agency, church, school, etc., who is a 501c they will write you a donation receipt for the value you assign to the item(s) whether it be quilts, cakes or whatever. You can then use the full value as a tax deduction. Let's say you were going to just give them $50.00 which is what you would have spent on the material. You get a receipt for $50.00. Or, you make the quilt, value it at $250.00 and get a receipt for the $250.00. If they don't sell the quilt for $250.00 you still get the full benefit of the donation. I have seen small items bring huge bucks at auctions and I have seen wonderful items bring next to nothing. A lot of it has to do with how the event is promoted and who is promoting it. If your not sure your donation will garner the desired results, talk to the promoter/committee member first. If you don't feel they are taking the term "fund raiser" seriously and are committed to bringing in the most money possible then make a small donation and save your handmade quilt for an event where it will be appreciated and get top dollar.
    Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Basically a good idea, but run this by your accountant. I am saving receipts, thank you letters , and photographing my donated quilts & baby hats (knitted). I'll see what happens at tax time next year. I am happy to help others but it does add up. Well, it's my therapy!