Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
Thanks for reminding us about the favorites setting I forget about the new technology.
The tech guy I mentioned gave me some answers to several of our questions:

-said it didn't matter whether thread was horizontal or vertical.
-said the thread tends to pop out of the tension discs on SOME machines and that he is making his own tools to facilitate his repairs
I have the same problems with my bobbin winding but didn't think to ask him about it. Will do so next time, again, it could be I did't have it threaded correctly. I too, will get the book out.

One problem with the thread breaking (this might cover your shreading problem too) is that there might be burrs on the edge of the spool which catch the thread. I keep an emory board within arms reach.
Originally Posted by janRN
I have 2 problems with my 830. When I wind the bobbins, they don't wind evenly. Seems most of the thread goes around the bottom half. If I put my finger under the thread and "aim" it upwards the top half fills. This happens if I do it when the machine is threaded or if I just use it to fill the bobbin. Any suggestions?

Second problem, and this could be "user error" is when FMQ my top thread doesn't break--it shreads. If the thread is three ply or two ply I'll be sewing along and the thread snaps. When I look at it there's a blob of thread where it enters the needle and the thread going into the fabric is only one very thin ply. Doesn't matter brand of thread, ply, or size of needle. I've tried most types. I do the whole clean, rethread, new needle, etc., and it keeps happening. No burr on needle. Bought a new pack of quilting needles but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Has anyone else had this happen?

Katie, the 830 has a memory setting: it's that little heart logo. You do have to program your favorite setting (it takes awhile) but then when you turn it on and go the favorites (heart button) it goes to what you've set.

I hope this all makes sense and Charleen, thanks for starting this thread--I've already gotten some help.

Also, when you're sewing, is it better to have the thread horizontal or vertical?
If you use the disk shaped thing to hold the thread on the spindle, it helps direct it away from the edge that may have a burr. Emory boards do work great on those as well!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM

I just got back from Joann's and there's a Viking Dealer in there. Talked to her about the shreading thread and she suggested the topstitching needles, too. I'm off to try these out and I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks janRN. It makes sense if the top stitich needles have a larger hole if that is what was making thread shred.
I just got back from Joann's and there's a Viking Dealer in there. Talked to her about the shreading thread and she suggested the topstitching needles, too. I'm off to try these out and I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 AM

OK. 2 hours and 5 broken needles and lots of swear words later it's still shreading the #$#@ thread!! I works for I guess 6 inches and at most 10 inches of sewing and then there's that glob of thread behind the needle, one ply of thread into fabric and then it breaks. I think I have to take it in for a check up.

One nice thing about top stitch needles is the larger eye--much easier to thread.

I quit for today-going to watch soaps or something LOL!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

i have the Sapphire 850 and love it. the only trouble i've had so far is FMQ on a queen size did not go so well. too many big stitches showed up. just too big of a quilt for me to move well. Twin size & lap go great. The big throat is so great for this.
i had a dealer class that showed us how to pop off the throat plate & use a mini vac attachment to clean out all the lint. don't want to push it into the bottom of the case where all the oil sits. i clean out after every quilt. works great.

in regards to the thread, if it is wound diagonal on the spool i was told to put it in the horizontal position on the spool holder and if wound straight then to use the vertical position. this sounds strange but it really does seem to help with the tension & fraying issues. i had a few of those until i rechecked my thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by topper1
I have three vikings right now, Interlude, 1+ and Designer 1. Love them all. I found out not to use Gutterman thread, for some reason it spits it out. ha I use Coatsand Clark dual purpose thread. Also, use top thread needle or ballpoint when fmq. needles do matter on these machines. I do love mine. Inherted 1+ really am impressed with it. Sister had made good choice on machine. Also, may need to make sure its threaded through tension disc correctly. I wasnt threading the Designer 1 correctly.
It's funny how they can vary so much. My 830 loves Gutterman and isn't as fond of Coats & Clark. It does not like Connecting Threads brand. Aurifil and Wonderfil work great in it!
My 870 loves loves loves the Connecting Threads thread. I had problems quilting with Coats & Clark dual Duty, but not with making garments (go figure!). Maybe it has to do with the CT threads being brand new and the Coats & Clark threads are old enough to drink...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM

OK. 2 hours and 5 broken needles and lots of swear words later it's still shreading the #$#@ thread!! I works for I guess 6 inches and at most 10 inches of sewing and then there's that glob of thread behind the needle, one ply of thread into fabric and then it breaks. I think I have to take it in for a check up.

One nice thing about top stitch needles is the larger eye--much easier to thread.

The broken needles (I had that problem for the first couple of months, too) are likely due to you "helping" the fabric along and not letting the feed dogs do their job (if you are FMQ, it means you're moving the fabric out of sync with the needle motion - the only way I got over that was hours of practice and slowing down for a while).

What weight thread are you using? I seem to get fabulous results with 50 wt thread. (this took months of trial and error to figure out as well - also I had no idea thread had "weights" until I took a FMQ workshop at a quilt show)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

If the thread only globs at the needle, it seems like it has to be there, I sure hope you figure it out. I assume you changed the needle, if not, try it again and see if it works tomorrow Meanwhile, enjoy the soaps. :)
Originally Posted by quiltilicious

The broken needles (I had that problem for the first couple of months, too) are likely due to you "helping" the fabric along and not letting the feed dogs do their job (if you are FMQ, it means you're moving the fabric out of sync with the needle motion - the only way I got over that was hours of practice and slowing down for a while).

What weight thread are you using? I seem to get fabulous results with 50 wt thread. (this took months of trial and error to figure out as well - also I had no idea thread had "weights" until I took a FMQ workshop at a quilt show)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Keep Talking Ladies. I am learning alot. I am still getting used to my machine and as busy as I have been I haven't had time to go and take the classes. I am learning something from each of you.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM

I too am enjoying this thread. I just purchased a Sapphire 850 and I am trying to figure everything out. Keep coming with all the good advice.