Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine--upright spool holder >

New machine--upright spool holder

New machine--upright spool holder

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 AM

Yes, JoAnn's has them. Seems like I paid about $3.99.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Much better price and works beautifully
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Mine is similar to the one Up North posted. Mine originally was a metal banana tree from the Dollar Store.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM

You could weight the base if needed by placing the bottom in a small container and adding some plaster of Paris to it. I find mine works just fine.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM

What great ideas. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm so confused. If your threads are meant to lay horizontally, how is the spool holder that sits behind your machine going to help? The spool will still be sitting upright or vertical.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm with you, sister. Guess the quilt police haven't caught up with me yet!
Originally Posted by pieces
I've always sewn with my thread in the upright postion and never had a problem. Even my multithread holder for my machine embroider is upright. I didn't know there was thread made to be used only in the horizontal position. (?)
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Huh?
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I've always sewn with my thread in the upright postion and never had a problem. Even my multithread holder for my machine embroider is upright. I didn't know there was thread made to be used only in the horizontal position. (?)
If the thread is cross wound onto the spool, it's meant to come off the end. If it is stacked wound, doesn't cross over itself, it's meant to come off the side of the spool. Most of the time it's not critical if it comes off the side. The only threads I know of that it's critical to use them either horizontal or vertical are metalics and invisibles.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Huh?
If the thread is cross wound onto the spool, it's meant to come off the end. If it is stacked wound, doesn't cross over itself, it's meant to come off the side of the spool. Most of the time it's not critical if it comes off the side. The only threads I know of that it's critical to use them either horizontal or vertical are metalics and invisibles.
What's your question? Stack wind comes off the side of the spool. Cross wind comes off the end of the spool.

The only ones I know of that MUST be used the way they are wound are metalics and invisibles.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Sorry for the confusion. No question really. Never paid any attention to how thread was wound on a spool. It was meant as a comment, more like a huh, how about that. The question mark probably should have been an exclamation mark but that seemed a overkill.
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Huh?
What's your question? Stack wind comes off the side of the spool. Cross wind comes off the end of the spool.

The only ones I know of that MUST be used the way they are wound are metalics and invisibles.