Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Older sewing machines >
  • Older sewing machines

• Older sewing machines

Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
    Banned

:wink: One of my old Singer is a 1923 Electric and she's a WorkHorse as well!!!
    Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM

My friend has a Necchi and a serger. I imagine she bought it in the late 80's or early 90's we did some monagreaming on the Necchi when she lived in the States. I loved it. Now she has parkinson's disease and can't sew anymore. I'm going over for a visit in May and she want's me to take both of t hem home with me. I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that. I imagine the shipping is outrageous. I think it cost me $28 to ship her a throw size quilt. Can't imagine 2 sewing machines and I know that Necchi must weigh around 60 some pounds. I'd love to have them but only time will tell if I can afford the shipping.

Connie
    Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I have been given a Turissa ultrmatic which I ould like to use for quilting. It has all parts and accessories but needs new belt does any one know where I may be able to get one?

Melva
    Old 10-21-2008, 01:52 PM
    Banned

oh my, I do my piecing and stippling on a Singer 301 - I have two of them..
    and a 15-90
    and a treadle 66
    and a godzilla 66
    and a 185
    and a 237
    and a 401 (lots of stitches)
    oh and don't forget the featherweight....

and my Bailey for quilting.....

and for occasional drag it out and use it I have a Brother 2003D and a Singer XL1000 :lol:
    Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM

here is my baby 1953 15-91
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-37246.jpe  
    Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 PM

I have a New Home Memory Craft 7000 bought new in about 1988 for $1500. I used it hard all these years. I was planning to buy a new Janome when a friend told me to take a look at eBay. Oh my gosh, there was the twin. And it appeared to be in great conditions So, for $150. I bought it and indeed it runs great and is barely scratched. I think it was owned by a little old lady who hardly ever used it. Daughter came from Seattle to visit. She had always said "some day will you give me your machine?" so that day had arrived and I let her pack it up and sent it home for her to use. Second generation now and it is going strong. They just don't make them like they used to.

When you find a good one, a twin can be a good one to have. I love this machine.

Several people in this group also own this machine.

June
    Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM

I have 2 old Singers(1948), 1 Montgomery Wards(1950), it needs a cord, 1 Husky probably 70's, 1 Kenmore probably 70's, 2 Elna's, one is a Quilter's Dream, I think that's it. LOL
    Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM

How wonderful to see what kinds of sewing machines we have. And it is terrific that so many of us have older machines which we love. They just don't build them the same these days

I have a Singer 221 Featherweight Anniversary Edition named Ethel (after my grandmother) that was my mother's. I have been using it forever for piecing. It is a great machine , beautiful stitches, but it needs to be babied along.

In June I got a Janome Heart Truth and I love it My "Red" as I like to call her is pretty much perfect and has never given me a problem.

My third machine is a 30 year old Viking which is still running well, but the feed dogs are just not great for the 1/4 piecing.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Here is a place to post a free ad for sewing machine parts or anything related to sewing. I have found this to be a helpful place. Also check out the things they have for sale.

http://sewingwishlist.com/

There are other sites where you can order parts, which can be found by going to Google, but this one is great and also fun to read.

I hope someone here finds this one helpful.

June
    Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Pro:
    I'd sure be interested in info on your 1907 White. I have one about that vintage that my grandmother gave me in 1964. It works but I have no instructions so am afraid to try using it. Do you have any idea where I might be able to go to get info? I have tried White Co., Library, sewing shops but nobody seems to have much or any info. I wish I had a book but that also seems to be lost forever. The motor on my machine folds up and down for storage. It is in a rounded oak case and is very cool. I love it but just wish I had more info about it.