Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Older sewing machines

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers
    I see that many, many of you have Kenmore machines...was that made or sold by Montgomery Wards years ago? Before I quilted I had a Mont. Wards machine that I thought was Kenmore that worked like a champ on the clothing construction I did alot of. It was a true work horse. When I got my New Home 8000 about 20 years ago I gave the Mont.Wards machine to our daughter and she loved it until she let our granddaughter make doll clothes and something happened to it. She got rid of it and I was sick as I would have loved to get it back. Good machines.
    I think my machine came from Sears, my mother bought it before she was even married.

I have a 1951 singer i use all the time. A 1943 featherweight i take with me on trips. A 3/4 weight singer which i have never gotten out to use.

It seems we all are fanatics. Sewing machines galore, gadgets of every kind, quilting magazines by the dozen, fabric stash in drawers, in closets, under the beds, in boxes, bags and wherever else we can keep it (yes I'm speaking for myself). LOL. I have a 1998 Viking 1 + that I love. It has a beautiful stitch. I do most of my quilting and all my sewing on it. I also have 2 Featherweights in the top of my closet. I love the beautiful stitch they produce. Actually for piecing I really wouldn't need anything but the Featherweight. However, it needs some minor work done on it, so it is in the top of my closet along with the other Featherweight which needs much more work done on it. Additionally I have an old school quilting machine, a Desigh A Quilt in storage because my husband wouldn't let me put it in the family room after a friend and I bought it. I've never used it but I want to so bad. I had a 70's Kenmore which I never really liked. I might still have it, but can't find it!!! Can you believe that? Probably under some of my stash.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Pfaff has a neat needle threader for their sergers - but it works on any sewing machine needle. They sell them separately, too. Great for 'older' eyes like mine!
    JoanneS

Banned
    :wink: Kenmore is Sears! I have an old 1952 and a new embro. Sears Kenmore , Have the older Singer's and they are real WorkHorses. Have new High speed Quilting Brother Machines. Yes I'm a collector too. The older ones are easier to fix by yourself. Clean and oil her up and she goes, Got 4 Treadles as well ,1 is a White 1907. 1 a Singer 1895 and yes they Work!!!

Banned
    :wink: One of my old Singer is a 1923 Electric and she's a WorkHorse as well!!!

My friend has a Necchi and a serger. I imagine she bought it in the late 80's or early 90's we did some monagreaming on the Necchi when she lived in the States. I loved it. Now she has parkinson's disease and can't sew anymore. I'm going over for a visit in May and she want's me to take both of t hem home with me. I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that. I imagine the shipping is outrageous. I think it cost me $28 to ship her a throw size quilt. Can't imagine 2 sewing machines and I know that Necchi must weigh around 60 some pounds. I'd love to have them but only time will tell if I can afford the shipping.

Connie

I have been given a Turissa ultrmatic which I ould like to use for quilting. It has all parts and accessories but needs new belt does any one know where I may be able to get one?

Melva

Banned
    oh my, I do my piecing and stippling on a Singer 301 - I have two of them..
    and a 15-90
    and a treadle 66
    and a godzilla 66
    and a 185
    and a 237
    and a 401 (lots of stitches)
    oh and don't forget the featherweight....

and my Bailey for quilting.....

and for occasional drag it out and use it I have a Brother 2003D and a Singer XL1000 :lol:

here is my baby 1953 15-91
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a New Home Memory Craft 7000 bought new in about 1988 for $1500. I used it hard all these years. I was planning to buy a new Janome when a friend told me to take a look at eBay. Oh my gosh, there was the twin. And it appeared to be in great conditions So, for $150. I bought it and indeed it runs great and is barely scratched. I think it was owned by a little old lady who hardly ever used it. Daughter came from Seattle to visit. She had always said "some day will you give me your machine?" so that day had arrived and I let her pack it up and sent it home for her to use. Second generation now and it is going strong. They just don't make them like they used to.

When you find a good one, a twin can be a good one to have. I love this machine.

Several people in this group also own this machine.

June

I have 2 old Singers(1948), 1 Montgomery Wards(1950), it needs a cord, 1 Husky probably 70's, 1 Kenmore probably 70's, 2 Elna's, one is a Quilter's Dream, I think that's it. LOL

How wonderful to see what kinds of sewing machines we have. And it is terrific that so many of us have older machines which we love. They just don't build them the same these days

I have a Singer 221 Featherweight Anniversary Edition named Ethel (after my grandmother) that was my mother's. I have been using it forever for piecing. It is a great machine , beautiful stitches, but it needs to be babied along.

In June I got a Janome Heart Truth and I love it My "Red" as I like to call her is pretty much perfect and has never given me a problem.

My third machine is a 30 year old Viking which is still running well, but the feed dogs are just not great for the 1/4 piecing.

Here is a place to post a free ad for sewing machine parts or anything related to sewing. I have found this to be a helpful place. Also check out the things they have for sale.

http://sewingwishlist.com/

There are other sites where you can order parts, which can be found by going to Google, but this one is great and also fun to read.

I hope someone here finds this one helpful.

June

Pro:
    I'd sure be interested in info on your 1907 White. I have one about that vintage that my grandmother gave me in 1964. It works but I have no instructions so am afraid to try using it. Do you have any idea where I might be able to go to get info? I have tried White Co., Library, sewing shops but nobody seems to have much or any info. I wish I had a book but that also seems to be lost forever. The motor on my machine folds up and down for storage. It is in a rounded oak case and is very cool. I love it but just wish I had more info about it.

Banned

I have a somewhat old Singer (late 70's..and yes that is 30 years ago!!) It really has taken a beating as I learned on it. My LQS provides Pfaffs for classes, Oh man they're nice, but way in my future!! I piece and stitch in the ditch with the old singer, I wouldn't even attempt anything else. I hope to one day have a machine in addition to it that I can try a little free motion on and which has a few bells and whistles....if wishes were horses....

Janeen: Thank you...just went to that site and found a white that is maybe a half century newer than the White I have. I think I'll contact these people and see if I sent them the serial number if they could help me.???? Can't hurt to try. Thanks for the site.

Ruth,
    I mostly use old Singer sewing machines - piecing on a Singer 301 or Singer 221. I also love using my 1967 Kenmore. The stitch quality is unbelieveable on these oldies and I love the fact that they sit right where you place them. A while back had the opportunity to try and help fellow sewer by trouble shooting a machine for her - seems like I spent most of the time chasing the machine all over the table.... I do have a computerized New Home machine have had it to the sewing machine hospital several times because after sewing for about 15 minutes it starts to squeal and the tension goes all funny. Give me the old metal Singers and Kenmores any day. They are wonderful - a bit of oil and a little grease here and there and they run forever.
    Sue in PA

Country Quilter, What are you doing to "train" your old Singer for free motion?? I have a 1948 model that I am wanting to use for free motion because there is so much more space, but I am having issues with control.

Banned
    I have a Kenmore hubby bought me right after we got married back in 81. I guess its not that old. But actually I love my new Brother cs6000i.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2