Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Another Iowegian :) >

Another Iowegian :)

Another Iowegian :)

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 AM

Hello from northwest Iowa, you will be so glad to have joined this group--great ideas, lots of help, and even some chuckles. piecefully, the old one
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Helloo, MidwestMary from Iowa! This is Edie from St. Paul, just a hop, skip and jump away from you Iowegians!!! I am a German/Swede! But then I guess we all are from this neck of the woods, eh? I have some paper piecing here I got from quilterscache.com and am getting ready to try it. Have been quilting for 13 years now and I would say it is about time to try paper piecing! I am already addicted to quilting, does getting addicted to paper piecing make you twice as addicted?????? Edie
Hi Edie! I am actually a transplanted Minnesota girl - from Minneapolis (the "other city"!!)

I really like the paper piecing...I like puzzles and it kind of reminds me of that. I haven't done anything big - wall hanging size stuff so the projects go quickly. And yes, I'm afraid all of it is addicting :)

Nice to hear from you! I seldom get to the cities anymore and miss it.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 AM

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm not surprised that quilting brings such joy to so many people from so many places!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
Originally Posted by Edie
Helloo, MidwestMary from Iowa! This is Edie from St. Paul, just a hop, skip and jump away from you Iowegians!!! I am a German/Swede! But then I guess we all are from this neck of the woods, eh? I have some paper piecing here I got from quilterscache.com and am getting ready to try it. Have been quilting for 13 years now and I would say it is about time to try paper piecing! I am already addicted to quilting, does getting addicted to paper piecing make you twice as addicted?????? Edie
Hi Edie! I am actually a transplanted Minnesota girl - from Minneapolis (the "other city"!!)

I really like the paper piecing...I like puzzles and it kind of reminds me of that. I haven't done anything big - wall hanging size stuff so the projects go quickly. And yes, I'm afraid all of it is addicting :)

Nice to hear from you! I seldom get to the cities anymore and miss it.
Oh, the town across the river, eh? My husband's family is from the Amana Colonies. My husband and I renewed our wedding vows at the Little Brown Church in the Vale in Nashua Iowa (where we were married 50 years ago) and headed down to Middle Amana where my husband's aunt lived. We stopped at the Heritage Quilt Shop. Marvelous fabrics there. Very nice people. Love that shop! Then two weeks later his aunt passed away and we went to the funeral and before we left we stopped at the quilt shop again and I loaded up! I truly love Iowa. I love the Amana Colonies (you have to look past the tourist-y stuff and recall the way it used to be. My husband's father was born in Middle Amana and I got to see it for the first time in 1969 and loved it ever since. Still have relatives there.

My aim in my life is to do a Mariner's Compass! Edie
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM

I'm also from Iowa, but have never heard the phrase "Iowegian" I consider myself an Iowan. We also have had more than our share of rain this summer. Seems as though there's no end to it. Had over 12 inches of rain in June and in July we have had over 6 inches already. Enough!!!!!
Welcome from West Central Iowa.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by grandaud
I'm also from Iowa, but have never heard the phrase "Iowegian" I consider myself an Iowan. We also have had more than our share of rain this summer. Seems as though there's no end to it. Had over 12 inches of rain in June and in July we have had over 6 inches already. Enough!!!!!
This Minnesotan says Iowegian is an Iowan with Norwegian heritage. Am I right, Mary??????? Edie

PS - In Minnesota we are mongrels! - Swede/German!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by grandaud
Yes, Edie is right - Iowegian generally means an Iowan with a Norwegian heritage. I was raised in Minneapolis but have been here in Iowa since 1974. I am heading over to Springbrook State Park this weekend for some camping - hubby is from around that area. Have a great day!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 AM

We stopped at the Heritage Quilt Shop. Marvelous fabrics there. Very nice people. Love that shop! Then two weeks later his aunt passed away and we went to the funeral and before we left we stopped at the quilt shop again and I loaded up! I truly love Iowa. I love the Amana Colonies (you have to look past the tourist-y stuff and recall the way it used to be. My husband's father was born in Middle Amana and I got to see it for the first time in 1969 and loved it ever since. Still have relatives there.

My aim in my life is to do a Mariner's Compass! Edie[/quote]

I live just a half hour or so from the Amanas - I usually get to Heritage twice a year...I agree, wonderful shop - her batiks are just awesome :roll: I'll be heading down there again for a shop hop coming up in a few weeks....cha-ching!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM

You're coming to my area. I live in Guthrie County west of Springbook State Park. Hope you have a good weekend. If you're interested, they are having a western music jamboree at the fairgrounds in Guthrie Center on Saturday starting at 6:00 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Hello & Welcome from Beavercreek, Oregon!! :D