Scorpions!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tmw
get yourself some sticky boards and put around in places , likes doors and windows, get them at stores like the home depot or lowes. we catch all kinds of things, and now its the big, and i mean big, transulas [sp] i have bad dreams about these things!!!!
OMG where do you live that you get tarantula's in your house? Yikes that would put me over the edge to find one of those massive hairy buggers. I am no fan of scorpians either. Thankfully they don't live here but I saw them when I used to live in Florida. You can have Florida! Too many bugs and venomous things there for me. Too hot humid and flat too.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM

We had two in the house. One was little. I saw it before the dogs did.

Funny story: (Well, I'd make it as funny as it was but it'd take all day to type it! LOL)

Sometime later I was watching TV by myself and saw something on the wall, almost to the ceiling. It was a big one! I called my hubby and grown son down to see it. I wanted a closer look. All I had was a styro cup and cooking tongs. I did get it (sweaty palms and all) and boy was that thing trying to sting the tongs. I put it in the cup but the darn thing jumped out and hid again real good. I put something on my bare feet before looking for it. Also put the dog in another room just in case. We were like Keystone Cops and decided to vac it up. My son emptied the dirt cup and handed everything to me. We all get in position, turn the vac on and I aim the hose to get it but it's not going in! Ends up the dirt cup wasn't locked in properly so not enough suction. We finally get it and neither my husband or son wants to empty the cup. We all three crowd into the downstairs bathroom to pay our final respects. I put on an oven mitt, get the dirt cup and dump it in the toilet. The water brought it back to "life" and it starts stinging the bowl. Flushed it away.

I was creeped out by the whole thing for a few weeks after. Now the house we're in is all tile floors and I watch real close and shake out my slippers before putting them on.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 AM

No Scorpians in New Hampshire, unless some one has one as a pet. But we do have all kinds of spiders. I don't like spiders. Or daddy longlegs. They are coming in the house looking for water and something to eat.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks Gramma Nan! We'll try anything LOL...
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
We had two in the house. One was little. I saw it before the dogs did.

Funny story: (Well, I'd make it as funny as it was but it'd take all day to type it! LOL)

Sometime later I was watching TV by myself and saw something on the wall, almost to the ceiling. It was a big one! I called my hubby and grown son down to see it. I wanted a closer look. All I had was a styro cup and cooking tongs. I did get it (sweaty palms and all) and boy was that thing trying to sting the tongs. I put it in the cup but the darn thing jumped out and hid again real good. I put something on my bare feet before looking for it. Also put the dog in another room just in case. We were like Keystone Cops and decided to vac it up. My son emptied the dirt cup and handed everything to me. We all get in position, turn the vac on and I aim the hose to get it but it's not going in! Ends up the dirt cup wasn't locked in properly so not enough suction. We finally get it and neither my husband or son wants to empty the cup. We all three crowd into the downstairs bathroom to pay our final respects. I put on an oven mitt, get the dirt cup and dump it in the toilet. The water brought it back to "life" and it starts stinging the bowl. Flushed it away.

I was creeped out by the whole thing for a few weeks after. Now the house we're in is all tile floors and I watch real close and shake out my slippers before putting them on.
That is too funny....still laughing.

:lol: :lol:
Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Get a black light if you are really worried about spotting scorpions. They glow (no matter what the color of the scorpion) in the UV light. We get them from time to time. They really aren't particulary aggressive (they aren't out there hunting you) but make sure you shake your shoes out before shoving in your feet. Scorpions really don't like being stepped on.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 AM

I jumped in my water bed in Smith ville Tenn. and one bit me right below the knee.i knew that i wasn't going to die 'because earlier that week my dog got bit on the nose. they seem to like moist or cool at night, the one that got my dog was hiding on the back porch under my mop. :evil: good luck, oh i put a wet towel on the porch and very slowly picked up and there was another one , one good work boot to the job, :hunf: then there was no more.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Lyn

OMG makes me think of when we lived in El Paso in the mountains. Kids would put their damp towels on the grass and several scorpions would get on. One night there was an eclipse of the moon. Where we lived was beautiful except for the critters. My husband and I sat outside in chairs to watch the moon come up over the mountain and slowly disappear. We had a glass of champagne and each others feet in our laps.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 AM

I was hanging something out on the line one day and I felt something go up my pants leg.I shook my pants and out fell a scorpion!!I almost died right there.I hear they go up and down like a sewing machine needle when they bite you.Is this true??
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 AM

We lived in Killeen, Tx. for three years and I was not used to tarantulas or scorpions. I asked at WalMart if there was some kind of spray I could use to keep them out of the house ane the man told me the only thing that worked was a big foot.