Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week  6--Blocks 11 & 12 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 AM

I see the photos in HOME, then Blocks of the Month, and it is the 13th topic down.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by rwquilts
You can cut your freezer paper into 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and feed them into your paper tray, putting the paper in so you print on the dull side, or you can also buy freezer paper sheets and trim them to the right size and print on them as regular paper. Give it a try!
I don't waste any part of the freezer paper that can be used for templates after cutting them out. It doesn't take that long to trace a couple of templates onto the scrap parts of the freezer paper. I wish there was an easier way to do this--but I haven't figured it out yet.
Here's what I did to cut down on the amount of tracing. I printed out the block template page. I then scanned it into my computer as a picture. My scanner allows you to select each different template as a separate picture.

Once I have each template as a picture, I do a "copy image" and then "paste" it into Word (or Publisher). I paste as many of the template as will fill the page.

You should crop the "picture" before pasting it, so that you can get as many templates on a page.

Then I print it out onto freezer paper. Voila! You have 6-9 identical templates!

**If your scanner doesn't allow you to select multiple images as pictures, you can cut the original and scan one template at a time.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM

I tried one block done with freezer paper, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me...boo hoo! I had to really try hard to peel if off the paper, which caused my block to do some distorting...Honchey, do you have a good way to remove the paper without it distorting your fabrics??
Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM

I tried one block done with freezer paper, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me...boo hoo! I had to really try hard to peel if off the paper, which caused my block to do some distorting...Honchey, do you have a good way to remove the paper without it distorting your fabrics??
I've been folding the seam allowance with the paper back and forth then slide my fingernail between the paper and fabric then keeping my fingernail on the actual seam rip a section of the paper from the inside/inner part of the block towards the outside-try to keep the seam stabilized-use the point of a seam ripper to separate the fabric from the paper.
I'll be working on some blocks tonite and take some photos then post them. Anne
Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM

I've been folding the seam allowance with the paper back and forth then slide my fingernail between the paper and fabric then keeping my fingernail on the actual seam rip a section of the paper from the inside/inner part of the block towards the outside-try to keep the seam stabilized-use the point of a seam ripper to separate the fabric from the paper.
One of the things I found helpful with the freezer paper is to rub the seams on each side with something hard. I use the handles on my scissors. I was told to do it with "The Purple Thang" but I found it too flimsy. That really helps with the perforation.

Also are you using a size 14 needle (bigger perforations) and a stitch length of about 1.5?

To separate the paper from the seam allowance, I did use "The Purple Thang" narrow end to slide between fabric and paper. Then I ran it along the seam allowance to separate; I found it much easier than using my fingers to pull them apart.

This post also reminded me of the method of paperless foundation piecing. It's the same as regular paper piecing, except before you stitch you fold the paper back on the seam line and sew right next to the paper on the fabric. That means you have to paper to rip.

I've looked online but the only paperless piecing instructions I see are in books for sale. I took a mini-class at our guild and it looked cool!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
One of the things I found helpful with the freezer paper is to rub the seams on each side with something hard. I use the handles on my scissors. I was told to do it with "The Purple Thang" but I found it too flimsy. That really helps with the perforation.

Also are you using a size 14 needle (bigger perforations) and a stitch length of about 1.5?

To separate the paper from the seam allowance, I did use "The Purple Thang" narrow end to slide between fabric and paper. Then I ran it along the seam allowance to separate; I found it much easier than using my fingers to pull them apart.

This post also reminded me of the method of paperless foundation piecing. It's the same as regular paper piecing, except before you stitch you fold the paper back on the seam line and sew right next to the paper on the fabric. That means you have to paper to rip.

I've looked online but the only paperless piecing instructions I see are in books for sale. I took a mini-class at our guild and it looked cool!
I wish I knew this sooner--I only paper pieced some Dear Jane blocks before and the paper is still on the blocks!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie

I wish I knew this sooner--I only paper pieced some Dear Jane blocks before and the paper is still on the blocks!!!
Thank you all for your comments! Yes, I actually use 1.0 stitch length for paper piecing sometimes, or 1.5...I've never had difficulty removing regular paper, but the freezer paper is not my friend...so glad that some of you have found good ways to work with it...someday I may try the folding back method of paper piecing...
Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 PM

You can also take the freezer paper template, staple it in a couple of places to prevent it from moving too much ... using an empty needle (perhaps a denim size) and your largest stitch length, stitch on top of the lines you will using to sew in.
In that way, you will have perforated the tough paper giving yourself a sew line so you may not have to draw out all those patterns ... but with the perforation, and then your smaller stitches, the paper will be much more friendly to you <wave>