Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18

Hi Everyone, Time to talk about these 2 blocks----

In a word: HARD!! I had trouble with 17 but got it done okay. 18 was easier but doesn't look "right". I'll post pics tomorrow so you all can tell me what I did wrong; kept re-doing but still not happy.

Oh my! Is it time for them? I thought we started new ones on Wednesdays! AWHHHHH! I thought I finally got caught up and had a day to breath before the next batchtomorrow...drats!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see your blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Oh my! Is it time for them? I thought we started new ones on Wednesdays! AWHHHHH! I thought I finally got caught up and had a day to breath before the next batchtomorrow...drats!!!!!!!

Hi, I post the 3 new threads for this quilt on Tuesday Evening after 10 p.m. Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76

Hi, I post the 3 new threads for this quilt on Tuesday Evening after 10 p.m. Anne
    Phew! Good to know, I was so proud of myself that I had finally gotten caught up :-D . Thanks!

I enjoyed making these two, paper pieced both of them, took me about 2 hours for each one so I'm a happy camper. I even like my colors...
    I am now officially 2 weeks ahead, will be able to post next week then I am away for three weeks visiting my daughter.

I enjoyed being ahead... and now I'm playing catch up. :0)

Odd blocks this week. Would like to see an entire quilt made of #18. Gonna go search now.

Oh My! I guess I have joined the Slackers.... I'm still working on 14's, hmmmmm...........

I just joined..how do I get into the block thing like you all are doing here?

I'm still laughing about #18. Someone saw angels, Hochey saw Transformers, I see a fat bottom. Hmm-wonder what the block represented originally?

DodY: welcome. Go to the thread titled "I wonder if anyone is interested in doing the FWS"; easiest if you go to Virtual: all the threads about FWS are in one place. I'm glad you're joining and look forward to seeing your blocks.

Blog Entries
    I was worried about piecing #18, because of the points, but it paper pieced beautifully! I did take creative license with the color placement and changed it up a bit...welcome dody!

Quote Originally Posted by dody
    I just joined..how do I get into the block thing like you all are doing here?
    We all have the "Farmers Wife Quilt Sampler" book. I use the templates, some people paper piece, and there are rotary cutting instructions posted each week. Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy doing this quilt as much as I am.

Honchey.. these two blocks came together really well for me. I have a general question for the experienced quilters... when quilting a "scrappy fabric" quilt as I am doing for this sampler, does a person use a quilting thread of all one color or match the quilting thread to the blocks?
    I really don't have enough experience to know the "rule of thumb". Violet

I seem to be lost....is there a link to show what block is due when. I haven't been able to find a posting that says ...this week's blocks are...

Quote Originally Posted by margie77072
    I seem to be lost....is there a link to show what block is due when. I haven't been able to find a posting that says ...this week's blocks are...
    Hi Margie, You have to go to "Blocks of the Month and week" That's where all the threads for the FWS are. We are doing the blocks in numerical order--2 a week. Tues evening I post the new weeks's blocks. This coming Tuesday eve will be week # 10- blocks 19 & 20.
    You work at your own pace. Some are just starting and there are those who are almost done. We post out photos of the blocks and discussions on the appropiate weeks thread (most of the time :) ) There are no quilt poilice here! just a great bunch of ladies on the same journey. Anne

Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts
    I was worried about piecing #18, because of the points, but it paper pieced beautifully! I did take creative license with the color placement and changed it up a bit...welcome dody!
    I have been using templates and have been struggling a bit with my points. How would I paper-piece a block? I know there are patterns for certain blocks but can you turn anything into a pp block?

It sounds like these are going to be hard but Century of Progress is one of my favorites to look at. I like how you did the color placement rwquilts and I plan to do mine in the same way. I thought the fabrics had been turned by accident in the first few I looked at and that it was supposed to be done like you did it :thumbup: To me it looks like a beautiful Christmas tree topper done the way it's supposed to and I think it's nice that way too.

I think these are the prettiest blocks so far! The fabric is so striking in them all. Good job, ladies and I'll look at all your gorgeous blocks again for inspiration as I work with all of those angles...it can be done. :shock:

These were surprisingly easy for me - don't know why but they came together quickly. I used templates for the first time (I've been following the rotary cutting directions) for block 18, and just followed the order of piecing for both blocks. I'm having so much fun with this - I've organized by fabric shelves in the process since I'm pulling out all my smaller-than-fat-eighth scraps. (Isn't is shocking sometimes how much fabric you realize you have? Just remember, it's "money in the bank" - even your tiniest scraps cost about $9 a yard!)

I am trying to use pieces of my stash that would best depict the name of the block of the quilt currently under construction. Therefore, Cats & mice block is put together with novelty prints depicting cats & "robot" mice; Century of progess is constructed from red, white and blue:progress in America.

I was ahead of the blocks ask for each week by ten, but find myself almost falling behind now...think its number 27 currently under construction in the quilting room.

I find each quilt block is a challenge; and fun to do, yes, but not that easy to do. I have joined the ones in this project that has a notebook with protective sheets to "display" each block in order. I thank them for sharing that thought. Thanks for all the tips and the sharing of the beautiful blocks. You all are the best!!!

I have a question about #18. I'm using templates. Which edge of the triangles do I line up along the grain line of my fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    I have a question about #18. I'm using templates. Which edge of the triangles do I line up along the grain line of my fabric?
    I used freezer paper for my block so I felt it didn't make a difference- but I would think looking at the finished block you can get an idea of how to place the template on the fabric to get the least amount of stretch in the direction that it's used in. Do you understand what I'm trying to say???

Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    I used freezer paper for my block so I felt it didn't make a difference- but I would think looking at the finished block you can get an idea of how to place the template on the fabric to get the least amount of stretch in the direction that it's used in. Do you understand what I'm trying to say???
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andii
    Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts
    I have been using templates and have been struggling a bit with my points. How would I paper-piece a block? I know there are patterns for certain blocks but can you turn anything into a pp block?

It sounds like these are going to be hard but Century of Progress is one of my favorites to look at. I like how you did the color placement rwquilts and I plan to do mine in the same way. I thought the fabrics had been turned by accident in the first few I looked at and that it was supposed to be done like you did it :thumbup: To me it looks like a beautiful Christmas tree topper done the way it's supposed to and I think it's nice that way too.

I think these are the prettiest blocks so far! The fabric is so striking in them all. Good job, ladies and I'll look at all your gorgeous blocks again for inspiration as I work with all of those angles...it can be done. :shock:
    You can turn most any block that can be drawn with straight lines into a paper pieced block. The easiest way is to use a program like Blockbase or EQ to help you, although you can do this by hand as well. Some blocks work just as they are and a few you must make into smaller straight pieces to work.

community benefactor
    I got #18 done, although I can't tell you how. I measured a little, cut a little, and then trimmed to make it the right size. I figure in a quilt with this much to look at, if someone finds a "dull" point, that's their reward for looking that close at any one block!

Thanks, Honchey, for the rotary instructions. They're lifesavers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I figure in a quilt with this much to look at, if someone finds a "dull" point, that's their reward for looking that close at any one block!
    You make me laugh!! I love your outlook on this!

:lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    I enjoyed making these two, paper pieced both of them, took me about 2 hours for each one so I'm a happy camper. I even like my colors...
    I am now officially 2 weeks ahead, will be able to post next week then I am away for three weeks visiting my daughter.
    HELP......help....help ....Please.............I have been paperpiecing my 3 and 4" (the pieces are the same for the 6")blocks (I have the companion cd)and have gotten to the cats and mouse and I am blocked how to put it together. Could you tell me the order you sewed the sections together? I have all the section ready to sew and have drew a blank. Is there set in seams? I have not been able to figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast