Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page  Week 9   Blocks 17 & 18 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18

Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM

ok, I rescued it from the garbage can, pressed it and here it be.....
I am trying to download these pictures for Anne, hope this works this time.

It is actually the piece marked H that is the bugger(the little tiny triangle)where should it be sewed before putting this silly maze together. Then the rest of the steps to sewing.

The pattern I posted says 4" but the 3" pattern prints out the same sections and pieces. So should all go together the same. I still think it must have a set in seam, but very difficult at 1/2"piece.

This is the pattern I used from the campanion cd and eq5
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96115[/ATTACH]

These are the pieces I have to put together. The "H" is my question as are the rest really
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96116[/ATTACH]

Now what?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96117[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-96110.jpe   attachment-96111.jpe   attachment-96112.jpe   attachment-96192.jpe   attachment-96255.jpe  

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAGSD

It is actually the piece marked H that is the bugger(the little tiny triangle)where should it be sewed before putting this silly maze together. Then the rest of the steps to sewing.

The pattern I posted says 4" but the 3" pattern prints out the same sections and pieces. So should all go together the same. I still think it must have a set in seam, but very difficult at 1/2"piece.

Hi, If you look at the pattern--H is part of the hst of the section that is the second down from the top of the page on the left side. in other words--if the whole page was the face of a clock. H belongs to the section that is sitting in the area of 8 O'clock.

I believethe section is the letter E. That tiny triangle H completes the E section where it becomes part of the 4piece square. the 2 sections on the left side 8 and 9 o'clock go together then. Hold on i'm printing out a copy and will get back to this in 10 minutes. A challange!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by JAGSD

Hi, If you look at the pattern--H is part of the hst of the section that is the second down from the top of the page on the left side. in other words--if the whole page was the face of a clock. H belongs to the section that is sitting in the area of 8 O'clock.

I believethe section is the letter E. That tiny triangle H completes the E section where it becomes part of the 4piece square. the 2 sections on the left side 8 and 9 o'clock go together then. Hold on i'm printing out a copy and will get back to this in 10 minutes. A challange!!!
OMG ! What a nightmare this configuration is. Yes, there is a set in seam. I have been cuttiing these little pieces outand trying to get them to go together without the inset seam--it won't work. and the only suggestion if you want to do this over is to section it yourself in your software program in an easier to put together pattern. When I did my block I used Freezer paper templates for the 4 pieced squares then added the solid squares to make one long diagonal strip then I did the 2 smaller strips the same way. I then sewed 2 of the large solid triangles-one on each side of the smaller strip- do this for the other smaller strip also--then sew these completed pieces to the sides of the very long strip. I followed the block assembly from the book. I did this block twice before using the freezer paper. If you were to cut off the small triangle from the center triangle and add it to the H triangle then sew it to the section where the H belongs- it would be a larger inset seam and easier I think to put together. 2 longer seam to point pivots. I'm going to bed now. Let me know how you are going to finish it. Anne
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 AM

OMG ! What a nightmare this configuration is. Yes, there is a set in seam. I have been cuttiing these little pieces outand trying to get them to go together without the inset seam--it won't work. and the only suggestion if you want to do this over is to section it yourself in your software program in an easier to put together pattern. When I did my block I used Freezer paper templates for the 4 pieced squares then added the solid squares to make one long diagonal strip then I did the 2 smaller strips the same way. I then sewed 2 of the large solid triangles-one on each side of the smaller strip- do this for the other smaller strip also--then sew these completed pieces to the sides of the very long strip. I followed the block assembly from the book. I did this block twice before using the freezer paper. If you were to cut off the small triangle from the center triangle and add it to the H triangle then sew it to the section where the H belongs- it would be a larger inset seam and easier I think to put together. 2 longer seam to point pivots. I'm going to bed now. Let me know how you are going to finish it. Anne[/quote]

That is pretty much what I had come up with too, I had tried putting it together with just paper and it wouldn't happen without the inset. With the Little tiny triangle you would just about lose the triangle I think trying to set in seam it. At one time I did sew it to the other piece but even then it does not sew up even. All in all I did go and resection the pattern a different way then what EQ and The companion CD showed and made the block a different way. But I think I will go ahead and try this one with the set in seam since I have it made up and see what happens. DR. appointments today and dad had surgry yesterday so may be late today before get a chance. Thank you for all your help with this.
Judy
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 AM

I have had a couple of paper piecing patterns that I have had to re-section to get them to work well. That's really not uncommon, as the computer doesn't always give you the best way to do it.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Hi JAGSD
Sorry I didn't reply to your request for help, I have been away, keep forgetting to log out.
For most of the FWS blocks I have been drawing my own blocks onto foundation papers. (I have EQ6 still don't know how to use it).
I just find the easiest way to cut apart the sections and sew them back together, remembering to keep the seams straight.
Thank you Honchey for helping, you are the best :thumbup:
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 AM

I just finished block 17. I started paper piecing block 18. Can't figure out why the piece that is the same color is 2 pieces in the paper piece pattern. I just made it one. I suppose as I go along I'll see why it's that way. Am I bringing up the rear in this project? Really loving the blocks.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

I finished 18 and it works just fine having it pieced as one.
Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I just finished block 17. I started paper piecing block 18. Can't figure out why the piece that is the same color is 2 pieces in the paper piece pattern. I just made it one. I suppose as I go along I'll see why it's that way. Am I bringing up the rear in this project? Really loving the blocks.