Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page  Week 9   Blocks 17 & 18 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18

The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18

Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by sew cornie
I have a question about #18. I'm using templates. Which edge of the triangles do I line up along the grain line of my fabric?
I used freezer paper for my block so I felt it didn't make a difference- but I would think looking at the finished block you can get an idea of how to place the template on the fabric to get the least amount of stretch in the direction that it's used in. Do you understand what I'm trying to say???
Thanks. I'll see what I can do.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andii
Originally Posted by rwquilts
I was worried about piecing #18, because of the points, but it paper pieced beautifully! I did take creative license with the color placement and changed it up a bit...welcome dody!
I have been using templates and have been struggling a bit with my points. How would I paper-piece a block? I know there are patterns for certain blocks but can you turn anything into a pp block?

It sounds like these are going to be hard but Century of Progress is one of my favorites to look at. I like how you did the color placement rwquilts and I plan to do mine in the same way. I thought the fabrics had been turned by accident in the first few I looked at and that it was supposed to be done like you did it :thumbup: To me it looks like a beautiful Christmas tree topper done the way it's supposed to and I think it's nice that way too.

I think these are the prettiest blocks so far! The fabric is so striking in them all. Good job, ladies and I'll look at all your gorgeous blocks again for inspiration as I work with all of those angles...it can be done. :shock:
You can turn most any block that can be drawn with straight lines into a paper pieced block. The easiest way is to use a program like Blockbase or EQ to help you, although you can do this by hand as well. Some blocks work just as they are and a few you must make into smaller straight pieces to work.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM

I got #18 done, although I can't tell you how. I measured a little, cut a little, and then trimmed to make it the right size. I figure in a quilt with this much to look at, if someone finds a "dull" point, that's their reward for looking that close at any one block!

Thanks, Honchey, for the rotary instructions. They're lifesavers!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I figure in a quilt with this much to look at, if someone finds a "dull" point, that's their reward for looking that close at any one block!
You make me laugh!! I love your outlook on this!

:lol: :lol:
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
I enjoyed making these two, paper pieced both of them, took me about 2 hours for each one so I'm a happy camper. I even like my colors...
I am now officially 2 weeks ahead, will be able to post next week then I am away for three weeks visiting my daughter.
HELP......help....help ....Please.............I have been paperpiecing my 3 and 4" (the pieces are the same for the 6")blocks (I have the companion cd)and have gotten to the cats and mouse and I am blocked how to put it together. Could you tell me the order you sewed the sections together? I have all the section ready to sew and have drew a blank. Is there set in seams? I have not been able to figure it out.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
I enjoyed making these two, paper pieced both of them, took me about 2 hours for each one so I'm a happy camper. I even like my colors...
I am now officially 2 weeks ahead, will be able to post next week then I am away for three weeks visiting my daughter.
HELP......help....help ....Please.............I have been paperpiecing my 3 and 4" (the pieces are the same for the 6")blocks (I have the companion cd)and have gotten to the cats and mouse and I am blocked how to put it together. Could you tell me the order you sewed the sections together? I have all the section ready to sew and have drew a blank. Is there set in seams? I have not been able to figure it out.
Hi, Take 2 of the larger triangles -sew one on each side of the strip that has been already pieced ( 2 Hst pieced, 1 solid square & 1 small triangle)- just make sure that the widest part of the triangle is on the outside. These 3 sections create a larger triangle which is then sewn to a pieced strip which is made up of 3 solid squares 2 Pieced HST's and 2 triangles. You need to do this for the other side also. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Don't you have the book? It shows the layout in the book.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Hi Honchey,
The paperpiecing isn't the same as the book block assembly I wish it was it would be hugely easier. It's layout is a touch different. Sections are split a little differently.I still am not able to dfigure it out.
Hi, Take 2 of the larger triangles -sew one on each side of the strip that has been already pieced ( 2 Hst pieced, 1 solid square & 1 small triangle)- just make sure that the widest part of the triangle is on the outside. These 3 sections create a larger triangle which is then sewn to a pieced strip which is made up of 3 solid squares 2 Pieced HST's and 2 triangles. You need to do this for the other side also. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi Honchey,
The paperpiecing isn't the same as the book block assembly I wish it was it would be hugely easier. It's layout is a touch different. Sections are split a little differently.I still am not able to dfigure it out.

can you take a picture of what you have layed out? I might be able to help if I know what I'm looking at. A
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM

If you PM me with your phone # I can walk you thru it. Anne
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Anne,
oh no! I actually discarded it and started totally over but will get it and do so. Cause I would really like to know. I ended up revising the pattern that came out on the eq5 with companion cd. Then it took me only about 45 minutes to do both the 3" and 4".
I just can't figure out how they wanted it to be done without set in seams and with the 3"block that was working with a piece that was 1/2" and trying to turn for the set in it just wasn't working. I will get a picture of it and post it on here if tht's ok?
Thanks for your help on this!
Judy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95948.jpe