Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing dilemma (after quilt finished) >

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM

this is one of the reasons I use white backing and most of my scrap quilts have material that has been washed a number of times. That doesn't help you tho. I"m sorry that all your work is not turning out right. The only time I made a dark green quilt I used a green sheet set that I got on sale. I figured sheets wouldn't bleed.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 AM

I agree with JanRN. If it is so bad you can't stand it, I would try a dye that works with your color scheme or even a tea rinse to give it an antique look. But all that love you put into this would really overshadow the discoloration and your Mom will cherish it. (Maybe over time the bleeding will fade/wash out).
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry you had this happen to you. The pic you posted here makes it look like the backing was just some type of blender..marbled you know. I learned the same lesson on a group of blocks at I was going to swap. I washed..but obviously not enough. I think that I'd have to go smack that shop owner if I were you:roll:
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 AM

Know the feeling, and it's not a good one! After a similar experience, I began soaking ALL new fabrics over night in a robust vinegar bath then washing. The attached photo is the 'morning after' water from some black, name brand fabric. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd not soaked.
Good luck removing the unwanted color; I'm sure Mum will love it knowing that you made it especially for her.

"Morning After' vinegar bath water
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100959[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100954.jpe  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Oh I am so sorry this happened to you. I definately would let the LQS owner know about it. I think I would even take the quilt in for her to see.

On another note your quilting is wonderful! Your Mom sounds like she will love it no matter what. :)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 AM

I just want to reinforce what Cheryl said on an earlier page. You need to buy Synthrapol. You can order a 4 oz. bottle from JoAnn's for $2.79.
The quilt shop owner sounds bossy but it may not be her fault. I have had expensive name-brand fabrics run and I routinely presoak my fabrics in Retayne to set any excess dye. My basement often looks like an Easter egg dying center withall the excess dye that comes out. Retayne is for commercially-dyed fabrics; Synthrapol will serve the same function for hand-dyes. But definitely try the Synthrapol soak to try to restore your quilt.Don't feel too badly. I remember on one "Simply Quilts" show, Alex Anderson,
a quilting expert, revealed that it had happened to her.
Anyway - don't go to a store. Use Google to search for the cheapest prices on Retayne and Synthrapol. I hope the shipping isn't exorbitant. When I bought mine, the cheapest prices were at "Soft Expressions". However, Australia has a robust quilting industry and should sell these very necessary products. I never found that the cold water/vinegar solution was as effective in fabrics that were determined to run, like teals, purples, reds, etc.
If the Synthrapol doesn't work, I would e-mail Alex Anderson and ask for advice. Any quilter would be sympathetic with your plight....
Best of luck. - Judy
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM

I am sorry that is a lot of hard work to have that happen.
I was going to buy this green fabric - but the owner told me it just kept bleeding not to purchase that fabric... The store owner sounds like she knew this also....besides the synthropol there is a resytan (sp) which stops fabric from bleeding. I have some old red table clothes that still bleed a little red.... I think I heard to use vingar... You might what to e-mail the darma company they sell fabric dyes and dyes setters.... They may be able to help - I would not dry the quilt because I think that sets in the dyes..Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Someone may be able to add some words of wisdom here, but to me those color catcher things just look like white terry wash cloths. Why not try throwing an old, light-colored washcloth in for the next washing. It couldn't hurt and may help.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Someone may be able to add some words of wisdom here, but to me those color catcher things just look like white terry wash cloths. Why not try throwing an old, light-colored washcloth in for the next washing. It couldn't hurt and may help.
I've heard that old wash clothes work just as well. Never tried it bc I have some color catchers.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned

My feeling about those "color catchers" is not that there is something magic about them but that they just pick up some of the dye that bled into the washing machine water like any other fabric would (which is why washcloths work just as well).

I always prewash my fabrics once and then if I am suspicious, I test a washed sample while the larger piece still sits in the washing machine (blues, dark greens, blacks mostly--for some reason reds don't seem as prone to bleeding). I put hot water and a tiny bit of detergent into the bathroom sink and with the drain closed, wash and rinse the sample several times so I can see if the water remains clear or not in the sink. If it still bleeds, I run it through the washing machine again (and again, if necessary). Some fabrics just never seem to clear up.

So sorry this happened to you--but it's true that oftentimes our own mistakes are much more obvious to us than to others!

Dana