Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing dilemma (after quilt finished) >

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Love my stash
A COUPLE OF MEMBERS MENTIONED AND ONE OF THEM GAVE YOU A WEB SITE THAT SELLS IT. THERE ARE TWO ITEMS EVERY QUILTER SHOULD HAVE, AND LOTS OF QUILT SHOPS CARRY THEM.

One of them is SYNTHRAPOL which removes excess dye and sizing. I had made a table runner for my DIL with a Burgundy and a Cream colored fabric. Well my DIL didn't take care when washing and it bled into the cream colored fabric. Now mind you, before I got it. the table runner had been dried and set in a box in the garage attic for who knows how long before my son asked if I could do something with it. Enter SYNTHRAPOL, and it came out looking just perfect!! NOTE: I've never been able to bring myself to use really hot water like they say to do. I usually use warm water and it has always worked great.

The other one to have on hand is RETAYNE. It is also made by the same manufacturer. Retayne SETS the COLOR so that it doesn't bleed later.

Good luck and I would love to hear back. I've used the vinegar process and the salt process, but have never had the success that I've had with Retayne and Synthrapol. Send me a PM and let me know your success.

God Bless
Cheryl
both r sold on amazon.com
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by GladGrams
I'm thinking you have a good reason to be furious :twisted: If I were in the states I would tell you to hold off on doing anything until I could mail you a color catcher.

IS THERE ANYONE IN THE STATES WHO WOULD MAIL THIS GAL A COLOR CATCHER CLOTH? ASAP?
GladGrams, is that poem beneath your message written by you.??
If so, may I use it for a quilt I am making ?? It is beautiful.
Thanks, MNM
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Hi Qiwiquilter.
So sorry about your quilt. I have found that if you spray with window cleaner and let set for a few hours, than wash, a lot of colored stains will come out. That is what I use on my white uniforms when I get blueberry stains on them.Hope you can get the dye out. Let us know what happens.
Ada
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 AM

Do you get Nappy San in New Zealand. I had been given a bought quilt from my mum which had blood on it from where her dog had pups. I soaked it every day for 2 weeks, changing the water every day. The blood came out, please try that. All the adds say that it removes all stains. Spin the water out each time and put it in warm water. I am so sorry about that lovely quilt.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Annya - yes we get Nappy San here. I've tried it (several times), and it didn't work either.

Original fabric is on the left and the washed quilt is on the right.

Color difference complete with blobs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124310[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124305.jpe  
Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Annya - yes we get Nappy San here. I've tried it (several times), and it didn't work either.

Original fabric is on the left and the washed quilt is on the right.
Did you just use the Nappy San? I always use a bit of wool mix in the water too. I know it will take a while perhaps a week . Leave the quilt in the water for a day then change the water. Give it a go any way and see if that will work.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Fox

I am so sorry that happened to you.