Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's - Who has the oldest? >

UFO's - Who has the oldest?

UFO's - Who has the oldest?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 AM

I have one from 1988, a hand pieced pinwheel that I did while flying to san francisco from NJ, every week for a year or more for my job. My first quilting attempt and boy does it show. I didn't know the tricks or have the experience. don't think I'll ever finish it, but I keep it as a reminder for me to show how far I have gone with my technique.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

i have one that was started 42 years ago...me as a young girl embroidering muslin squares grandma would give me to work on when i was being a pest...fast forward 20 years, and my daughter embroidered a few more blocks (they are butterflies, sunbonnet sue and overall sam blocks) then 15 more years go by and my granddaughter finished embroidering the blocks. i actually had forgotten all about the blocks in the first place and a couple years after my grandmother passed away i received a package in the mail from an aunt who said, we found these in a box in the attic, since you are the only one in the family who likes to sew, thought you might like to do something with these...if not just toss them out....well i was FLOORED! when i opened the box and found the stack of blocks i remembered so well working on while she sat at her machine and sewed. my daughter is not all that (in-to sewing) but my granddaughter loves to hand embroider (she's 13 now)
so anyway, i finally put it together into a quilt... and it has sat folded up under the quilting machine for the past 6 months...waiting, always waiting; one of these days i will quilt it and then probably give it to my granddaughter for a multi-generational quilt.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 AM

Does it count if I did not make the top? I have 2 from my MIL(she is 87) that were given to her by an aunt. I really don't know how old they are, but my guess is at least from the early 50's. I need to drag them out and finish them one day. There are a couple of brown age spots on one I need to try to get rid of. Any ideas? I also have a couple of completed quilts by the same aunt, I think. The ribbon quilt is currently on my bed.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM

My oldest UFO is probably 8 years old---I have a plastic container with about 25 tops in it, and they will all get quilted eventually. About once a year I take my 50% off coupon to Joann's and buy a whole roll of Warm and Natural and then go up to church and pin baste about 10 quilts all the same day. then, I take them home, quilt them and bind them. Of course, in between I am making MORE quilt tops for the UFO bin!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 AM

Mine is my first log cabin which I took a class for... My second daughter was a baby and is now 21... So, I guess 21 years!!! Yikes! :lol:
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 AM

I started making a Double Ring Wedding Quilt form my sister in 1982. The top is finished and I need to sandwich it and get it quilted. By the way she will be celebrating her 28th Wedding Anniversary in May......maybe I'll get it finished by then. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 AM

I think you win!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb
As of yesterday this UFO is almost finished. It looks like gawd awful but it sat for 15+ years in a tote. It was sewn very poorly and just wasn't going anywhere. So I took it to my sister's to finish it. You see she just got a Gracie II frame and Brother's 1500S at the Sewing Expo here a month ago so I figured what better way to try our hand and make all the mistakes on something that has no hope otherwise of ever being finished. Now at least it has hope as a beach quilt. We made a ton of mistakes. It has holes in the backing and we broke a ton of needles on it. The batting was used and not the best. But we learned and now this quilt will be of service after all. Of course a great deal was cut away and many other blemished were hidden. The pattern is called gift boxes. It started out as a King Size top and ended up only about a twin. It is almost done. I just have to finish the binding. And at that it is not a priority. It is just good to have it out of the tote and now usable even if only for something other than a bed or decorative quilt.
Juliasb
I saw this picture and thought - that 'oh my, that is our practice quilt'. The one we used to learn how to use our new machine and quilt frame. We are not ready to quilt our favorite ones yet but our confidence is growing.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 AM

My first quilt was a 5" square patch made from double knit. My second was too. My 3rd is a double knit cut from what was left of the doubleknit of the 70's still in the box from at least 26 years ago. Now that I have retired, it will be my next project after christmas.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 AM

I can help! I can either sandwich them for you or I can quilt them for you. I love to do the older ones because so many memories or in them. I would never overcharge anyone. I can give you references. PM me and we can talk. What have you got to lose?