Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the oldest UFO you ever finished? >

What's the oldest UFO you ever finished?

What's the oldest UFO you ever finished?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM

I saw EscapetheNorm's posting on her UFO that bit the dust after 4 years. Got me thinking it was confession time:

WHAT IS THE OLDEST UFO YOU EVER FINISHED?

Mine - 12 years old

a friend's - 37 years old (She asked to not be named since she passed off the finished project as a "vintage quilt" gift to her graduate school grandson. It was originally meant for her son when he was promoted to senior law firm associate. )

Only ages of FINISHED UFO's, please. We must provide HOPE to the rest of us that things do indeed get finished!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Im still working on it...LOL

8 years and counting
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM

When I was in HS I finished one my mom and her sister had started for their hope chests in the 1920's or 30's. At that point it had probably been in storage for 30+ years. Used it for about 25 years before the muslin background of the blocks began deteriorating.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
MTS
Banned

I just stumbled across it after years of it being in bag in a box at the back of a closet.

It's the very first quilt I ever made back around 1997-ish. It's unquilted and still needs a border.

Ugh. FUGLY.

However, I can see I was attempting to do some 'unique' design patterns to make it a bit different. The variety of sizes for seam allowances is very amusing. Even within the same seam.

One of my unique :roll: design elements was made up of diamonds and triangles. I apparently came up with my own method of trying to get them to match up.

At a quick glance, I had about a 15% success rate.

Oh, and the lovely Rag Shop calicoes.

Oy.

As I look at my stash of luscious imported Japanese fabrics, I have to laugh.

I think I'm going to just get some similar fabric at Joann's and put a wide border on it..without trying to square it up. The wide border should take care of that.

And then send it out for some quick all over design just to call it DONE.

It will be really, really nice to cross that off the list.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

20 years. I started it in 1984 & finished it in 2004. In between I worked, moved, had kids, raised kids, etc! I would get the blocks out every now & then & arrange them then put them away. When I finally finished it, it didn't go with any of my decor (I made a bunch of matching things for our bedroom back then) so it is in our camper & I love it! I backed it with flannel & it is so cozy! It is not my best effort- I was using all triangles with 1/2" seams, lots of thing don't match up, but it's mine & I finished it!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Mine was pretty old. I started it the day Ronald Reagan was shot and finished it during the 2002 Olympics. What's that, about 20 years?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I just stumbled across it after years of it being in bag in a box at the back of a closet.

It's the very first quilt I ever made back around 1997-ish. It's unquilted and still needs a border.

Ugh. FUGLY.

However, I can see I was attempting to do some 'unique' design patterns to make it a bit different. The variety of sizes for seam allowances is very amusing. Even within the same seam.

One of my unique :roll: design elements was made up of diamonds and triangles. I apparently came up with my own method of trying to get them to match up.

At a quick glance, I had about a 15% success rate.

Oh, and the lovely Rag Shop calicoes.

Oy.

As I look at my stash of luscious imported Japanese fabrics, I have to laugh.

I think I'm going to just get some similar fabric at Joann's and put a wide border on it..without trying to square it up. The wide border should take care of that.

And then send it out for some quick all over design just to call it DONE.

It will be really, really nice to cross that off the list.
FUGLY is frickin' funny! :lol:
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM

I'm in the process of finishing up a Bargello that I had started in 2000. The top was finished, but I never got around to quilting it. This WILL be done and in place by tomorrow at the latest. (Did I just set a goal?)
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM

yes Hope is just what I need !!!
My GH says my house work is my UFO,,, Hey I made my bed , dishes are washed not put away , clothes are washed and in the dryer , floors are sweeped not mopped , casue he is going to walk on them with his boots on anyways ,Dinner will be at 6:00 pm as always for the past 26 years !!!
So I say I got my UFO done for the day LOL !!!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 AM

still working on it.. I think I started it xams 2005. (for a gift no less,) then kids happened, move happened, life happened....
I finally pulled it out, and now going to finish it for my sons tricky tray at the end of the school year!