Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting threads fabrics >

Connecting threads fabrics

Connecting threads fabrics

Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by e4
First, I have never bought from Connecting threads, which was the original question, and I hate to hijack a thread, but I would like to know why people seem to think the fabric is 100% US made. Connecting Threads website says they use 100% US cotton and they display the Cotton USA label. However, all that label means is that the cotton was grown in the US, not that the fabric is made here. In fact, if you read the site carefully, some fabrics clearly state they are printed overseas. The reality is that the fabric probably was not woven in the US, nor printed in the U.S. Does someone have other information that shows otherwise? I can't find anywhere on the site that it says the fabric actually is made in the U.S.

I don't think anyone here is claiming CT is "USA made"; they are saying it's "American made" which means in North America. But the dyes and fabric treatments they are using are not the same - as in occasionally toxic - as we often see in goods manufactured entirely overseas. The fabric has a heftier weight - which puts me in mind of good "goods" from 25 years ago - and is printed in such a way that BOTH sides of the yardage can often be used, one as a solid.
This is not the same stuff as we're usually getting from Moda/Timeless Treasures/Hoffman/RJR/etc., etc., but it's great fabric at wonderful prices!!
Jan in VA
Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't understand the thinking of quilts for charity, hospitals, military, shelters, or nursing homes should be made from less quality fabric then the quilts I make for friends or family.
Hear, hear!!

Jan in VA
Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by paloma
i do not under material snobs ,just because you can afford the high end ,i think it is great that they quilt ,back in the day a lot of people used left overs or thingsthat were still good in spots and the funny most people would give a nice peice of change to own one let be said i wouldnot asnoot to aquire my old quilts
Well, perhaps this is reverse snobbery in a way.

Do you still card your own batts like "they did in the old days"? "Does your tomato taste better because you dig your row with a stick than mine with a tiller?"

Old ways are not necessarily better, nor are new ways the best. Quilting for need and quilting for art are two different things, and people use different supplies for each, perhaps. When quilters are trading, gifting, or doing specific group projects, the supplies need to be defined so that the work of each is comparable to the next person and the finihsed product is standard throughout.

There's room and value in the work for all of us, I doubt any of us are denying that.

Jan in VA
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 PM

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what a fabric snob is.I don't like/use certain colors,nor do I like some fabrics.....but don't we all buy what we want that we can afford, be it cars,clothes or fabric?
About old days, My Grma made quilts of feedsacks using gray wool batting on a treadle machine,then tied.Nothing was made to be pretty,just utility quilts. With a family of 10,they were used & used up.
I started out using all WalMart fabric.There was no other choice in our small town,nor could I have afforded it if there was.
Now I have a better machine & use better fabric to make quilts for the love of learning.Every block, every seam is different.They go together to make a whole.Then I'm off & running to start a different quilt.The learning is what I love.
The basics are the same regardless of the equipment or fabric used.JMO

"There's room and value in the work for all of us, I doubt any of us are denying that."
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM

Are you saying that the dyes CT uses aren't toxic, but those used overseas are? Where are you getting that information?

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by e4
First, I have never bought from Connecting threads, which was the original question, and I hate to hijack a thread, but I would like to know why people seem to think the fabric is 100% US made. Connecting Threads website says they use 100% US cotton and they display the Cotton USA label. However, all that label means is that the cotton was grown in the US, not that the fabric is made here. In fact, if you read the site carefully, some fabrics clearly state they are printed overseas. The reality is that the fabric probably was not woven in the US, nor printed in the U.S. Does someone have other information that shows otherwise? I can't find anywhere on the site that it says the fabric actually is made in the U.S.

I don't think anyone here is claiming CT is "USA made"; they are saying it's "American made" which means in North America. But the dyes and fabric treatments they are using are not the same - as in occasionally toxic - as we often see in goods manufactured entirely overseas. The fabric has a heftier weight - which puts me in mind of good "goods" from 25 years ago - and is printed in such a way that BOTH sides of the yardage can often be used, one as a solid.
This is not the same stuff as we're usually getting from Moda/Timeless Treasures/Hoffman/RJR/etc., etc., but it's great fabric at wonderful prices!!
Jan in VA
Old 10-31-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The manufacturer of the CT designer fabric lines is one of the best ones in Mexico. I have posted the link to the factory here many times. I don't know if the same factory is making the batik fabrics but the batiks are very nice. Did you know CT has great tutorial videos, blogs, quilt a longs how tos, free patterns and projects on their site. It's very active. Their Facebook page has lots of great sales and discounts listed. I buy a sampler pack of all their new fabric lines. When that lines goes on sale I know which yardage I want to buy more of. This week Golden Afternoon line is 40% off.
BellaBoo, for the benefit of those of us who have not seen the link, will you repost? I knew that the cotton from CT was not made here, only the cotton is U.S. grown. I will continue to order from them because their fabric is good enough for most of my quilts (utility and children's play quilts) and because when I team up with my friends, we can come up with over $50 worth of items and get free shipping.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by paloma
i do not under material snobs ,just because you can afford the high end ,i think it is great that they quilt ,back in the day a lot of people used left overs or thingsthat were still good in spots and the funny most people would give a nice peice of change to own one let be said i wouldnot asnoot to aquire my old quilts
What on earth is "asnoot"?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM

I have bought several fabric from CT and it is very nice quality probably equal to Joann's middle line. It is hard to get a true colors in fabric on line so perhap that is why to colors do not seem as vibrant. I would order from them again. LOVE their thread!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:21 PM

I have been ordering alot from them lately. I just got a batik sampler and am thrilled with it! Sometimes their kits are on sale at a super price. Their strips and charms squares are a really reasonable way to see a whole fabric line before you buy yardage. Their colors seemed to be rather muted for me but they have come out with new brighter colors that I really like.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 PM

I've used their batiks in a quilt and it was wonderful. No complaints from me. I think the quality was very similar to batiks I have seen in my LQS. I have the fabric for another waiting in the wings, the After Hours collection. They are beautiful if you like those colors. They are very vibrant and I was very happy with them.

I spent about 50 bucks for fabric for two tops. Both good size. Seems like I got something else too, but I forget.