Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES / >

WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES /

WHERE DID YOU TAKE QUILTING CLASSES /

Old 11-13-2010, 02:56 PM

I love taking classes at my LQS. Not only do you see some new ways of doing things but you meet other people with the same interest. I love learning new things, I don't think I've taken a class yet where I haven't had a ball.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:56 PM

I am for the most part self-taught. I did take two different classes on PP, the first one had me cut out all of the pieces and add on the 1/4 in seam, (what a pain in the pitutte that was, the second was so much better. George Sciliano had this neat little ruler with the swing edge....I fell in love with PP. Now that I have one of Carol Doaks' book, I am anxious to get started on those! I found Quilterscache.com, and have been using many of those patterns. And then I found THIS site, and have been so fortunate to have the generosity of the talent quilters here!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:08 PM
RDM

First beginning class was at a LQS, then followed with several more at a local Pfaff dealer. Now it's mostly guild workshops. What I get from classes with quilt artists are their tips and tricks. I'm visual so seeing it done helps me.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am for the most part self-taught. I did take two different classes on PP, the first one had me cut out all of the pieces and add on the 1/4 in seam, (what a pain in the pitutte that was, the second was so much better. George Sciliano had this neat little ruler with the swing edge....I fell in love with PP. Now that I have one of Carol Doaks' book, I am anxious to get started on those! I found Quilterscache.com, and have been using many of those patterns. And then I found THIS site, and have been so fortunate to have the generosity of the talent quilters here!
Where do you get your cute little things to add to your message? I see where the smiles come from but nothing else.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM

I tried to learn from a book, after years of dressmaking, almost to the point of also doing tailoring,and it was an exercise in frustration. There was nothing wrong with the book. I didn't like the inaccuracy. A year or two later three local quilters advertised "make six gifts before Christmas." We started in Sept. When I went to purchase fabric for the first class, a couple of cheater blocks and fabric, the shop owner asked me if I had the rotary cutter, etc. I was totally dumb and had no idea what she was talking about. She demonstrated. I spent another $100 on the necessary mat, ruler and cutter plus a square up ruler. This was my kick start. This was back in the early 90s and the instructions were for templates and scissors. Eventually the book was rewritten for rotary cutting system. We learned a different method, and sometimes more than one, per item. That was my Kick Start and though I have taken just a few more since them they ended up being a social outing and I ended up doing my own thing. Despite having quilted seriously for nearly 20 years I am still learning from forums, reading and just plain trying.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I took a beginner quilting class at LQS which got me going. I hadn't done any sewing for probably 30 years before that. Still had my Pencrest sewing machine which was probably 40 years old. It still worked well after all that time! After taking the class I bought a Pfaff which is what we used in the class, really like it, too. I would like to take more classes or workshops but so far hasn't worked out. I have learned so much from the internet, including this site.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

No class. Learned from a co worker, this board, and my customers.

I also look at pictures and say, "O.k. I can do that." OR "yeah, right, I don't think so" LOL

I look at some patterns/pictures, make changes and go from there.

Or create my own.

I then like to teach others.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilterd
IF YOU TOOK QUILTING CLASSES WHEN & WHERE
I JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD INTERESTING TO KNOW
the only "quilt class" I have ever taken are the ones I watch on t.v. - I learned a lot from "Simply Quilts" and the old Fons & Porter ones. Also Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a day" - but the ones that are still on aren't shown at convenient times anymore.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM

I have never taking any classes, guess I worry to much what others may think of my methods. Just reading magazines, books, TV and trial and error. Oh yeah my sister also helps with some things.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM

I took a hand quilting (no pieceing) class in about 1980. Although I don't hand quilt any more.