Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread question >
  • Thread question

• Thread question

Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 AM

I can tell you a trick I use for using cone thread. I have an empty spool from a Gutterman thread and I jam (so it won't wobble) . This has worked so far. I know those cone thread holders are out there but I haven't picked one up.
    Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 AM

Love the Gutterman
    Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by grammyj
    You can get a thread stand that sets behind your machine so you can use cone thread. Clotilda has them.They are not very much. Joann's may have them.
    When thread breaks at the needle it may have a burr on the end of it, try changing it. Good luck
    Don't buy a thread stand that's made from plastic. They don't work. You need one with a heavy base and a guide made from metal. I have seen some on here that folks have made from materials found in their house - paper clips, bent into a new shape, wire, bowls, etc. A topstitching needle or embroidery needle might work for your machine. Try out different ones. Superior threads are wonderful and I use Connecting Threads thread also, which is 100% cotton. Yes, thread on a spool is much more cost effective.
    Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 AM

I use a cone stand and cup some, but I also make a lot of bobbins and use them as the top thread too.
    Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM

My hubby made me a cone holder with a dowel and piece of scrap of 2x4, they are the greatest and easy to make. And I may be way off here, but it sounds like your thread is ok, but your needle may be to small for the size thread you have, help please out there. If I am wrong I am wrong. lol. I been there a lot so its ok.

R
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 AM

For the cone thread, I bought a tall table ornament stand that works just fine, it was less than $3 at the hobby store.
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Sounds to me like you need to put in a new needle. When my thread starts breaking, that is the first thing I do. If you are quilting then use a quilting needle, if you are just sewing seams then a universal needle works fine, but always change your needle with each new project, sometimes during too, if you are working on a large project.
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Japonica
    I am headed to my last quilting class :cry: and will ask this question there also but wanted to check with all you experts. what is the best type of thread? I don't have a machine that uses cone thread (would love to figure out a way to be able to use it though, less costly). This morning I was sewing together some blocks for a rag quilt tohone my non existent sewing skills and the thread keeps breaking off the needle after a while. I checked the tension, threading of the machine, etc., and all seem to be correct. My thread I am using a a quilting thread purchased at Joanns and it is Americana 100% Glaced Cotton. Does the "Glaced" have something to do with jamming my machune and breaking the thread? I so need a quilting mommy!!! :roll:
    Look at the thread. It should be nice and smooth and lint free. If it varies in width - sometimes you need to unwind a bit - or has little slubs or sticking out fibers, move on and look for something else. Those 10 for $1 threads - you all know where they are - are really poor quality. Get a better quality for more consistent results.
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM

I use the Aurafil on the orange spool. It is expensive but I have not had any problems with it. Purchase at your LQS. I was also told to use a light grey on everything as it is so neutral it does not shoe. (Haven't done an all white or all black quilt though. I would have to think about that one a while.) Also, be sure that you are using the correct needle i.e. 85/10. I think those are the numbers that go together. Some needle holes are smaller than others. Hope this helps.
    Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM

I now will only use the 100% Egyptian Cotton thread from Conecting Threads. My old Kenmore didn't like the Guttermans, and the Coats and clark is just way to linty. I have a ton of that and just got a bunch more from a friend who's mother passed last spring. I use it for hand sewing like buttons and such. Most I will be donating to the Girl Scout Day camp I work at during the summer.