Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Design >

Quilting Design

Quilting Design

Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 PM

I agree that the batting makes a difference! I always use wool batting. I preshrink the fabric but not the batting, then when it's finished I wash it in hot water to shrink the wool. This helps to make it fluffy. One time I doubled the wool & that nearly gave me a comforter. (It was harder to get my hand stitches as small as I wanted!)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Definitely use high loft batting for a puffier look. I have even doubled my high loft batting at times for a very puffy baby quilt. Also leave more space between quilting lines - check the batting package - if it says quilt 2-4 inches apart stick to 4. Good luck!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

For show quilts, I use a layer of cotton batt, with a layer of Hobbs Wool batting (lighter than air) on the top. It really defines my quilting, and the more open the quilting motif, the more fluffy you'll get. Many professional quilters use this method. I also get a great result with Hobbs Polydown, and use it mostly for quilts that are warm snuggly huggy quilts. It has a 3/8" loft and is the softest poly I've found.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Cyn

I also would think less quilting makes it fluff more.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Wonderful Info - thank you. Do they sell that particular batting at JoAnns or do I need to order it on-line?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

use a high-loft batting and quilt as close as the batt says it has to be quilted. the batting dictates the amount of quilting a quilt has to have...you can do more, but need at least as much as it says. batts come in various lofts...from very thin (1/8th") and all lofts inbetween. i just finished a customer quilt that the lady brought a batt that was 3/4" thick! that is some lofty batting! it was not difficult to quilt, but it did really take up the backing...her back wound up being too short...even though it started out about 5" longer than the top. so take that into consideration when you choose yoru batting/backing. the back needs to be larger (and trimmed after quilting) because as you quilt the fabric is 'drawn-up' much like appliquing.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Close quilting will make the quilt flat, no matter what type of batting you use. For a poofy quilt, use a high loft batting and don't quilt closely. SID or meander or pattern - doesn't matter as long as the quilting is not close together.
Exactly! <wave>
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
How fluffy? You could use a layer of cotton batting topped with a layer of poly batting, that should give you the loft you want.
what a brilliant idea.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Is the Hobbs Polydown warm, or just cozy, but not very warm?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
Is the Hobbs Polydown warm, or just cozy, but not very warm?
Poly is very warm...does not breathe like cotton and wool, just holds the heat in.