Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Here I sit... >

Here I sit...

Here I sit...

Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM

there is a lot of Type h flu going around. A Dr. can diagnose it . I got antibiotics, prednazone, and cough syrup. Didn't have a cough when I went in to se the Dr. at the end of the first bottle of syrup, I started to cough. Now on second bottle, my cough is loosening and I feel much better. It is nasty stuff...
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Sweetner Glycemic Index

Glucose 96
Fructose 22
Lactose 46
Sucrose (white sugar) 64
Brown sugar 64
Barley malt syrup 42
Brown rice syrup 25
Raw honey 30
Agave syrup 15
High fructose corn syrup 62
Stevia less than 1
Sugar cane juice 43
Evaporated cane juice 55
Maple syrup 54
Black strap molasses 55
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I used to get 'colds' all the time too. I haven't had one since I started getting flu and pneumonia shots. It works so well I keep track so I never miss one! If you go to the pharmacy and get a bottle (not spray can!) of nasal saline, it will help unstuff your head without using drugs. Bend your head slightly forward when you use it for best results. I use it all the time. Best $2.00 a month I spend, AND no symptom rebound, like you can get from drugs.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation
I have found coughing and bronchial and sinus congestion can be helped by getting a humidifier. Also for night time coughing.....rub Vicks Vaporub on the soles of your feet, put on socks and go to bed. It really does help. Hope you are bettr so that you enjoy Christmas.
Haven't tried that to get rid of a cold (I use it on my chest) but rubbing on your feet & then putting on cotton socks help each the burning, itching, pain of neuropothy (spelling) that often comes with diabities. I use it all the time. Last bad cold my 20 something dgd got last month turned out to whooping cough. Thank goodness her 18 month old dd had her vacination. It seem to be going around here in Montana.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:31 PM

I hope you all get well in time to enjoy the holidays coming just around the corner.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:38 PM

I am not a fan of flu shots (drugs) but use a neti pot, water, water, water. Vit D, Cod liver Oil, walking is good exercise, and bounce on a mini trampoline. Also look into the chinese healing Qigong and of course rest.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Finished another Christmas stocking for my niece's 6mo old (I make them for all new additions to the family...by birth or marriage), a tree skirt for one of my sisters, a small table topper for another sister, several hand towels with Christmas appliques, and two little ornaments for...well, just because I wanted to try the technique!
Well, you may be down, but you are not out by a long shot. You are getting more done than I do when I'm healthy! A cold should last a week or 7 days, which ever comes first -- seriously, if symptoms last weeks or months one needs to investigate allergies, asthma, or other causes. Another device to do saline nasal rinsing is put out by a company called Ayr, and is a squirt bottle, which I find easier to use than the Neti pot. Once you get used to using these things you'll never go back to just blowing your nose and suffering.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Sweetner Glycemic Index

Glucose 96
Fructose 22
Lactose 46
Sucrose (white sugar) 64
Brown sugar 64
Barley malt syrup 42
Brown rice syrup 25
Raw honey 30
Agave syrup 15
High fructose corn syrup 62
Stevia less than 1
Sugar cane juice 43
Evaporated cane juice 55
Maple syrup 54
Black strap molasses 55
Which only works if I don't pour Agave syrup like it's going out of style :lol:

Really, a little sugar isn't the devil but it definitely adds up fast. I have not tried Agave syrup because it's still far too high for my blood sugar, but that doesn't mean others with diabetes can't use it. Test, test and test!

And I don't know about you all, but I stick myself enough times at the sewing machine to check my blood sugar several times a day. I had to be careful not to donate a whole lot of DNA to my MIL this Christmas. :oops:
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 PM

I've had my cold since Thanksgiving and so have the rest of the group that attended the dinner. Mucinex is what the doctor ordered and is sure helping keep it out of my chest. Unfortunately I now have 2 cold sores that really hurt.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 AM

They call it the golden years but I can tell you the only gold about it is the gold that flows out of your pocket to the doctors pockets. Sorry you have been ill. Dear Lord, help our quilting friend Dixiechunk.