Your Worst Gift ?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Blue pants and blue top--the same thing 4 years running. My husband is the kind who waits till time for the store to close on christmas to go shopping for me. He bought me Navy blue dress pants and a light blue top 4 years in a row. the kids thought it was funny, I did not.

This is the man who never bought me flowers the first 20 years of marriage--I told him after our anniversary dinner it would have been nice to get roses once in the 20 year period--he went and bought me a rose bush--red--I hate red roses.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

I have to say..my poor husband ..doens't pick up on deatials..after all of this time being married I am not sure he could order a sandwich forme at subway( I eat there all the time)..he tries really hard. Him picking out jewelry for me is comical.....last year I bought everyone all of their gifts..and he wanted money to get me something ( I manage the accounts)..I said no...don't worry about it..I will buy a few thinsg for myself after teh holiday..he said come on...
I said OK ..you get 200$

So he loads the kids up to go shopping for me.

They bought me a necklace...from the local jeweler for 200$ it was not my style at all...but when you have 6 kids that stop opening their own gifts to watch you open yours..what are you supposed to do...I said "Oh it's beautiful ..I just LOVE it!" They all beamed. But my DH keeps pointing out the fact that I have not worn it since last Christmas..LOL. He kills me.
The sad truth is ..he could have gone to the store next to it...and the sales lady would have told him everything i liked..and picked out a bunch of really nice stuff for 200$ that I would be wearing! Oh well.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 AM

When we were first married, I asked for a nice silver chain. I got one that looked like a chain link fence. To this day, I just buy my own gifts. My DH is wonderful but he has no clue as to what I would like for a gift. I buy it and say... look what you bought me.. for all occasions. This year we put hardwood floors down in the living room, dinning room, and hallway, and two rugs.... a great Christmas gift since neither of us needs anything.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM

I tore the Christmas wrapping paper off a box to see a Yankee candle...large size. Oh boy! Opened the box, pulled out the Yankee jar only to find it empty and filled with cheap candy. MIL told me how wonderful the scent WAS!
I wasn't happy at the time but my friends and I sure get a good laugh now.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 AM

I have a mother in law who is CHEAP! But...not cheap with the other family members..just me, my dh and my 2 children. One year she handed me a Christmas present..it was rather large. I opened it..it was a used electric blanket. It had a hole in it and she patched it up with a denim patch. After I opened it she said "I tried to sell it to Bea (sil) but she said they didn't need a blanket. So I thought you would want it." Whenever I give a gift it is bought with the person receiving it in mind. I never bought her another gift after that. When we got home that evening it went into the goodwill box. I laugh at it now..but then..I was so hurt. Such is life.
Peace and Blessings,
Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Maybe he'll send it to you?

My brother got a fruit cake for x-mas years ago from his MIL. He didn't unwrap it and the next year she got it back. Then came the comical tradition of each year the other one got it back for x-mas. And so it went for at least ten years, until her death this past summer. Who know what will come of that dreaded fruit cake
:lol:[/quote]
Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 AM

From current (surprizingly considering this gift) DH a singing Christmas tree. Obnoxious at best.

From ex MIL two big wheels of cheese as a Christmas gift. When my then hubby said to her, "Mom, why'd you get her cheese? She doesn't like cheese." His mother answered, "Well, that's okay, you like it." I just laughed it off outwardly but inside I was hurt. For someone that prided herself on her elegance and class, she could really be low-down and show an extreme lack of character.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 AM

first married, back when everyone wore spike heels, the taller the better, LOL, he bought me french heels, one inch high, I just stood with my mouth open, I was newly pregnant and he didn't want me to be tripping around on those spikes anymore...now I can laugh about it..back then not so much
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
My ex-husband on our last Christmas together bought me a frying pan, slippers that were too small (I wear a size six) and a used paperback copy of "Out of Africa" with a sales receipt in it for a bookmark.

Also to those of you that have gotten various appliances,you should have followed my sister-in-laws' example. She told her husband. "If it comes with a cord, it is an appliance not a present."
You have to be a little careful there - sewing machines also come with a cord ;-) I don't think too many people here would turn down a sewing machine as a present, lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by fayza
Okay here's mine....... I really do know that its the thought that counts but my husbands mother & grandmother always give me and the kids "re-gifted" gifts. I wouldn't even mind so much if they didn't make it so obvious. For example.. 2 years ago I got a home interior picture that had hung on the MIL's wall for years before(and she didn't even include the other pics that went with the set- they are still on her wall to this day)lol... Last year my oldest son received a motorcycle (without an original box) that had already been assembled, and the stickers were dirty. I could name even more, but I'll not get myself worked up...
ERRRRRRR

I'm really not picky, but how hard is it to go to the dollar discount store and spend $1 to show that there was actually a "thought" put into it.
I had one well-off uncle who was somewhat like that. I had two other aunts and uncles who had very little money to spare, yet they always put a lot of thought into their presents and I still have most of them to this day.