Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trouble with Janome bobbins >
  • Trouble with Janome bobbins

• Trouble with Janome bobbins

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 AM

I never used bobbins wound on the machine. I perfer the prewound ones, they are inexpencive and have more bobbin thread on them than the prewound.

Lanny
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 AM

I have 3 Janome machines and have virtually no problems. I've sewn on 1 of those 3 for a couple of decades. I think the key to having no bobbin thread problems is to be careful when you begin to thread the bobbin to ensure there are no tangles or loops and then, as k3n said, when it's secured, stop the bobbin winding process, cut the thread end close to bobbin and finish the job. It should then automatically fill evenly from top to bottom and back up again, etc., BUT mine don't do that on their own, so I give the thread a gentle "assist" with my forefinger until the bobbin is full.
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I just ordered the genie bobbin washers and we'll see how those work.
    Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by alica1367
    When I first got my 6600 janome I had this problem with the bobbin jamming near the end. I found that I was trimming the thread too close to the bobbin when I wound it and it would slip out of the hole and get caught in the thread that was unwinding as I sewed. So I had to leave a little longer tail coming out of the hole. Does this make sense?
    it makes sense to me. i'm going to try combining that tip with the suggestion to load the bobbin with the little tail underneath.

dealers tell you to not use prewounds and generics because they want to come back for the more expensive name brand bobbins. that's my theory, anyway.

i've used janome, generics, and reusable prewound bobbins interchangeably on both my janome machines. absolutely no difference whatsoever in performance. i have waaaaaay too many empties now to justify buying prewounds but i love 'em. gooogobs and miles more thread than i can load when i wind them myself.
    Old 12-18-2010, 08:07 AM

I've been having the same problem with my Janome, I took it in and had the bobin case replaced but it still dosen't work right, I thought it was something I was doing wrong but it seems like others have had the same thing happen. I have the 6500. :cry:
    I bought a Bernina 440 and just love it, I don't have any problems at all with it. I loved the Janome till I started having problems I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that has had that happen.
    Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 AM

You just might want to try a different bobbin. I have two different ones, both ment for Janomes, but one is a tad smaller and narrower, it does not work well, other works well. Just my suggestion.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM

This is my first post so I hope I get it done. I have experencied trouble also. I made a felt bobbin washer I call it. Just cut a piece of felt the shape of your bobbin with a hole in the center and insert it under your bobbin in the bobbin area. This helps me. Also need to check your bobbins I find the ones that came with my machine work the best. The pre filled ones could be a slite bit smaller, or fatter and not set in the area correctly
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 AM

I have a Janome 9000 and a 10000. The 9000 I bought new years ago and the 10000 I got used a few years ago. A short time ago my machine started acting strange when I got to the end of the bobbin. My low bobbin indicator was acting up also. I took it in and had it serviced - no more problems. The 9000 has never done this.
    I've had the 9000 for at least 15 years and had no problems with it in all those years. I've had the 10000 for several years, used and this is the only issue I've ever had with it, and believe me - it gets tons of use. I don't think I would every own anything but a Janome. When our business sells - I'm off to buy the Janome 11000, whichever one is the latest greatest machine they have.
    Merry Christmas to all of you, my friends.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM

I'm sorry you're having these issues. I have the 6600 and haven't had any problems at all with it. I did read the whole topic, but can't remember :oops: if this was said. When I wind my bobbin, I make sure that the thread from the guide to the bobbin is taut. Hold the tail and press the bobbin wind button. Then after a few rotations I stop the bobbin, snip the tail and continue winding. No problems. I use both the generic bobbins and Janome on mine. My thread has been used right to the end ( :oops: wasn't paying attention and continued sewing LOL). I bet no one has done that one!!! LOL
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 AM

think I'll get my Janome out and try the sugestions, maybe I've been doing it wrong, thank you so much, I hope it works