Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall? >

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
If it's in the middle of the room you can walk all the way around it, and fabric can drape off either end, which is good.

However, if you push one long end against a wall, then you can allow all sorts of stuff to pile up on your table and it won't fall off.

Are you tidy or messy? Might make a difference...
LOL!!! I'm both! I dislike clutter, but like to do multiple projects at once. I've got sewing, dolls, quilting, jewelry, crochet, cross stitch, rug making, crafting, small home appliance repair, painting and ribbon crafting ALL in the same room. lol. Ahh... It would be nice to have a couch and reading area, a dedicated cutting table, a big board ironing board, a seperate room for fabric storage, and a longarm... all in a 18' x 26' room. But me... I'm in a 10'x 11' or thereabouts. And no closets that I can appropriate in the house otherwise! lol. I've been looking through others pictures of sewing rooms and getting some great ideas (and some great green eyed 'monsters' of envy too!).
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

My quilting frame is in the basement, with a rolling chair and bookshelves behind it for my stash. The rest of the room is taken up with a treadmill, punching bag, drumset and DS's little man cave.
My real sewing room is my diningroom, which is open concept with the living room, so, if I didn't have any furniture it would be 12'x16', but with furniture, my "area" is the diningroom table, with a rolling cabinet beside me that has a small ironing surface on it, and a few cube organizers against the wall - hidden from the front door by the computer armoire.
But, now that we don't need the "armoire" anymore in this age of laptops, I've commandeered it for stash too! LOL
And no, I won't show pictures, because even my mother won't visit because of the mess!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM

When I had my big sewing room the cutting table was in the center. The sewing I can do either way, but I prefer the quilting table against the table. I have a 4 x 6 feet table with a well for the sewing machine. Against the wall, the quilt can not fall off the edges and I could do the biggest quilts with no weight pulling down..
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM

My cutting table was originally away from the wall so that I could cut on either side. Last year I decided to place the table against the wall so that I could put my other two tables together in the center of my space to make one large sewing table (60" x 80"). The table my computer/printer is on completes the L shape at one end of the cutting table.

I want to get a digital camera so that I can share pictures.

Midwestqltr
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
but I prefer the quilting table against the table. I have a 4 x 6 feet table with a well for the sewing machine. Against the wall, the quilt can not fall off the edges and I could do the biggest quilts with no weight pulling down..
Good point. I'll remember that for when I quilt something bigger than a wall size. hum
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 AM

If I had the room my cutting table would be in the middle so that I could get to both sides. Sometimes it is a bit of a 'pain' when I can't easily move to the opposite side. I think we all do the best we can with the space we have available.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:52 AM

featherweight, I like your sewing room it looks great
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
My room is not quite big enough to leave in the middle of the room. I keep it against the wall but, when I need to get around it I can pull it away from the wall and get all the way around it. I don't need it all the time so therefore why waste the room to leave it in the center. I only cut from one side and the only time I need to get around it is when I am basting it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
Just re-did my sewing room and my husband modified a base kitchen cabinet from Lowes, put my cutting table top (that was on the rolling table frame that I had gotten at Joann's years ago) on top of the cabinet and installed locking wheels under it... I can move it from against the wall to middle of room when I need space to cut around and when not using whole surface, it is out of the way on the wall and I still have 3 sides to use-I store my traveling machine for classes and embroidery machine in bottom and the two drawers on top have all my cutting tools...
It is the most wonderful table!! Best thing, it looks custom, but at a DIY price!!!! :P
I think this is ideal! Mine is in the middle of the room, at times I like it and many times I wish I could roll it towards the wall!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Okay folks. I just set up my 'new' sew/craft/kwilt room... and I specifically chose to put my main cutting, sewing and ironing surface in the middle of my room. BUT, I see in so many of the marvelous pics of y'alls sewing rooms... that most times the cutting and sewing surfaces are up against walls.

??? Is this just personal preference? Or are there some excellent reasons for setting up those surfaces against walls? So what am I missing here? Clue me in!

Thanks...
I like to be able to walk around the tables and get at all sides. Also I don't have any unused wall space. I have a wall of storage, a wall of cabinetry and snatches of space for more sewing machines. I would post a pic but you guys have already seen mine and are ready to shoot me with green daggers.