Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall? >

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If it's in the middle of the room you can walk all the way around it, and fabric can drape off either end, which is good.

However, if you push one long end against a wall, then you can allow all sorts of stuff to pile up on your table and it won't fall off.

Are you tidy or messy? Might make a difference...
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I have mine in the center so I can walk all around it work better for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM

WOW!! You have a wonderful sewing room! I am impressed with how organized and clean it is. Great inspiration for me to not be so messy! Thanks...
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM

mine is in the middle. so i can get to all sides if necessary.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by grammyx5
WOW!! You have a wonderful sewing room! I am impressed with how organized and clean it is. Great inspiration for me to not be so messy! Thanks...
Do you want to see a before? You would not be so impressed It was a challenge on the board last year!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Leah Day? She is phenominal quilter who has some books and DVDs on the market. For doing FMQ, she recommends setting up your sewing maching in the (left) corner of the room, so that the quilt "pools" in the corner of your table, rather than going off the edge of the table and thus contributing to what is referred to as "drag". I have found this hint to be very helpful. In fact, her Beginners DVD is filled with great hints for newbie quilters such as myself.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM

My sewing room is set up in a "U" shape (and a rolling chair). I put the cutting table against the wall - it's deep enough for a mat and a squatty bookshelf (lots of storage!). A table-high bookshelf to the left of the cutting table to stack stuff and store my strips/charms. Ironing board is in the middle, in front of the window. Machine has just barely enough room behind it, but I get to stare at my stash closet while sewing! Design wall is on the opposite wall. To me, it's very efficient for the small room I have.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM

I like so many of you have a size issue.. I would love for it to be out in the middle but just no room... I don't think there is a wrong or right way, it is whatever works best for what you are doing... so glad you are able to have that room to work in!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
I have my cutting table in the corner, and my big board ironing board in the next room. Why? because I need all the moving around I can get!! For me I do not want every thing in a nice little U shape, did that for years, and it is one of the reasones I am in the shape I am in, so do all the getting up and down and walking I can do, hoping it will some day make a differance.
Actually, that's a great idea. I like to move around too... simply cause I'm borderline ADHD... and jumpy if I stay in the same position for too long. lol.

I'll get on the stick and post some pictures tomorrow, when there's enough daylight to make some good shots. I'll post them over in the picture section, of course!

Ladies, thanks. I was thinking that there might be some obscure reason having to do with quilting that might make a difference. Space is indeed key. I wouldn't have room to baste a queen sized quilt in anycase cause the room is too small. If and when I need to baste a quilt that size, I've already developed a good relationship with my Local sew store. (The local quilt stores are rather cliquey and not very helpful to newbies. The sew store, however, has been extremely wonderful with their time, expertise, even parts and pieces.)
Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
My sewing room is set up in a "U" shape (and a rolling chair). I put the cutting table against the wall - it's deep enough for a mat and a squatty bookshelf (lots of storage!). A table-high bookshelf to the left of the cutting table to stack stuff and store my strips/charms. Ironing board is in the middle, in front of the window. Machine has just barely enough room behind it, but I get to stare at my stash closet while sewing! Design wall is on the opposite wall. To me, it's very efficient for the small room I have.
That does sound very efficient and practical... things I totally get and admire. I don't have room for an ironing board, and only put it up when I'm washing/ironing a full load of fabrics or some serious yardage. Instead, I use a flat covered rectangular board, or a ironing mat for most of it. Like someone else also said, we get creative when we have to make do. Someday, maybe I'll be able to use one of the larger bedrooms, but realistically... that ain't happinin any time soon!