Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel quilting >

flannel quilting

flannel quilting

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dkm
Question about using flannel as backing? Can you use only the top and flannel or do you need something like muslin in between?
I do use a batting but a lightweight pure cotton one, it makes a lovely light but cosy quilt.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM

If the colors won't show through, you can use just the top and flannel backing for a light quilt. If the top and back are both flannel, and you use a normal batting, it gets pretty heavy and warm. I agree that a walking foot or built in dual feed are helpful, if not essential. Gosh, if I thought I could get away without washing it.....;>.....
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM

I used flannel from top and backing and did not wash. Turned out fine and still after washing is fine. If using flannel for backing only or top only, I guess the flannel should be prewashed because it does shrink. But, if both are flannel, it should be ok.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

YES!!! HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! good quality flannel (my favorite is BENARTEX flannels...are double sided, soft and very nice to work with...the flannels from walmart and hancocks are single sided/thin and pills really bad really quickly, like after one or two washes- (gets those little fabric balls all over the surface)-UKKY STUFF

Originally Posted by clem55
Is there much difference between quilt flannel and the flannel that you would buy at Walmart or Hancocks?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

ive made flannel quilts with a third layer of flannel in the center instead of batting, made them with cotton batting and with fleece backs...all of them are great! if you do not have alot of seams in the top you can get away with not having the middle layer, but that layer does help keep the seams from showing through on the backing. the fleece one i did not use anything else, just the top and the fleece back
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I wash mine before quilting, no sizing or starch. Lots of pinning because I didn't use a walking foot. It does give off lint, so I had to clean the machine really well, during and after.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I wash mine before quilting, no sizing or starch. Lots of pinning because I didn't use a walking foot. It does give off lint, so I had to clean the machine really well, during and after.
I don't use a walking foot, EVER, don't even own own since I gave mine away, I use a Satin open toed foot, I like the see thro' one, so less noisy and so easy to see where you are going.

I learned this top from a book I think it was a Nancy Johnson-Srebro one.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

I know there are a lot of opinions going back and forth, so I'll give you my experience and you can decide from there.

I didn't wash any flannel the first quilt I made. It was a simple 4 patch and I was very nervous about it. I learned about an accurate 1/4" foot on that quilt. I washed it when it was tie tacked and it shrank so much half the seams cut right through the fabric. It was awful. Needed to be completely remade. There's a lady at my club who knows more about fabric than any other person I know and she swears flannel shrinks 2.5 to 3 times as much as regular quilting cotton.

I never used flannel again until this last queen size I made as a surprise for my DH for our anniversary. I washed it 4 times to make sure that it really shrank as much as it could. Ironing all the wrinkles out of it was a really nasty word. Backing 120" wide on my tiny tabletop board. Anyway, aside from the profanity when pressing it out, it worked great. The only complaint I have is that it was very, very hard to hand quilt. The needle went through fine, but my stitches are so small that it looks like the flannel swallows them up in spots.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM

I bought flannel washed it 3 times in hot water and then fuzz buzzed it....it needed the fuzz buzz machine. Can't see using unwashed flannel for anything but a wall hanging as they do not need much washing.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Always wash flannel first. And I find it pretty helpful to use my walking foot when sewing on flannel. I am just finishing putting the binding on a flannel quilt. Also remember flannel is warm and you may not need to use as thick a batting as you use in other quilts. I just use warm and and natural in mine.