Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 AM
tmg

Originally Posted by Babes
Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
you can also try youtube. I use them a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...beginners&aq=0
Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 AM

Check your local library for quilting books. It would be nice if you could find another beginner. Talk to your local fabric shop, they may know of a new quilter and can put you in contact. It is always nice to learn with someone and the board is always here to help you.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 AM

If you are in Virginia, within 50+75 miles of Danville, I will help you. I teach begining quilt classes.

Or there are thousands of Youtube videos to see demonstrations on quilting.

You iron your seams to reduce the bulk when you put the block together, nice smooth fit is what your looking for.

I tell my students, Cut Well, Sew a Constistant 1/4" seam, or as close as you can get, first, but consistant (you get better as you go), and Iron well, these are the most important things to remember
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 AM

I know how you feel, and I expect a large percentage of quilters do as we all have gone thro' this stage. Don't worry about money for classes as all the help you need is FREE on the web. The ladies here will help and have already given some links, here is another good one that helped me a lot when I started. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.ne...ingLessons.htm

If you need to know anything ask here and "Google" it you will be amazed how much info is out there, happy quilting.

May I just add one thing, remember when Iron in quilting is mentioned you don't :roll: you in fact PRESS, never Iron as in ironing clothes as that can and will distort you seams and fabric, just press.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Try not to be discouraged. The more you experiment, the more you learn. As the others have said, lots of stuff on the internet to watch and learn from. The pressing part becomes second nature after a while. Welcome and hang in there!!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 AM

Hi, I am new to quilting as well..I tried the patch one and got discouraged as well, so I started a string quilt which seems to be so much easier at least to me :wink: I have been hand sewing it and enjoying every minute of it..I do look forward to when I can start a patch quilt..Because one day I will get the hang of it :D
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 AM

I would check out your local quilt shop. My LQS has a free bee that meets weekly. People bring whatever they are working on. I love it because I can sew without distraction and I get to see what others are working on. I have learned a lot from the other ladies. Really enjoy the "show and tell" aspect of it all. You can find a lot of info about classes/bees at the LQS online as well. Good luck! Don't give up. Quilting is SO much fun!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 AM

I total agree with a few of the other posters....go to Quilters Cache, sit down and click away!! It will take you days to go through all the neat stuff on the site and in time....NOT OVERNIGHT....you will come away with a great understanding of the BASICS. Do not try to get ahead of yourself but concnetrate on the very simple things....laying out your fabric, using the rulers and rotary cutters to cut a simple straight line ( do this practice on cheap fabric from the thrift stores, old shirts, dollar stuff from Walmat....you will make mistakes and it is better to make those mistakes on cheap stuff rather than your TEN DOLLAR a yard stuff!!!! You can make very simple mug mats or place mats in the beginning....an afternoon project that will give you a great sence of accomplishment.....even those beginnger practice blocks can become a mug mat!! Too many beginners want to make a big size quilt for their first project but a human baby must learn to walk before he can run in the Olympics....same goes for quilting!!

Jodi in Leavenworth
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Hi. and welcome. I hate to tell you this but, I never iron my seams. I piece by hand and I just let them go the way they naturally go. Machine piecing may be different, I don't know. But, I have always been told to lay your seam on the side that has the darkest fabric so that the seam doesn't show through. One quilter says one thing and another says another. that's why I just let them fall where they may. I don't guess my stuff is too lumpy or bumpy. Nobody can see the underneath of your quilt after its done anyway, so....... Just let it flow!!! You'll do okay.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:51 AM

I also am self taught. I learned from looking around on line. My first quilt was a block of the month offered free. If I can do it anyone (almost) can. I am disabled in a wheelchair and do not have use of my right side. I give quilts as gifts they come out so well. Not giving up is a key ingredient. Relax, let the errors become a lesson and plug on. If you really want to learn this craft, you will. I found that bigger pieces and blocks were easier.