Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 AM

The tutorial here on Binding 5 easy steps really helped me. My first few attempts were nothing to brag about but with a little practice you will be fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 AM

This tute shows from beginning to end. I use this every time and I have never had a problem. The pocket you make at the front is the greatest. No having to get the perfect measurement.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...ilt&FORM=VIRE1
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM

Absolutely!!! Do it whenever I think I can pull it off depending on the quilt & backing. ( Mitering the corners is a snap too! )
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I had instructions for binding my first quilt because I was taking lessons, but I learned to connect ends by trial and error. I have also had a lot of tips from other classes and my quilt guild. I do a great binding and I really love to do binding. I like the relaxing hand sewing and I haven't mastered hand quilting, so I have to do it on binding.
Just keep at it and you will get it. Tutes are good, but no substitute for in person instruction IMHO. I find it hard to see on the computer and want more that one angle.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by rebeccalr
This tute shows from beginning to end. I use this every time and I have never had a problem. The pocket you make at the front is the greatest. No having to get the perfect measurement.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...ilt&FORM=VIRE1
Thanks, that's a great tute...I'm going to try the pocket method next time.
Connecting Threads has some good stuff.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm glad you're not giving up! To date, I have made 5 quilts. The first and second had beautiful bindings! Really, I was impressed with myself and didn't understand what the big deal was and why so many people had trouble with it. The third and fourth were both awful. What I discovered is that I *really* need to take my time with it, make sure everything is straight, and my seam allowance is accurate. It was harder for me to slow down and pay attention to it when I was "this close" to finishing and I just wanted it DONE. But when I did my fifth binding, I really focused on it and took my time, and it turned out the best of all of them. Lesson learned. Keep it up, you'll get better at it. Practice might not make perfect, but it will make darn close! :D
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM

don't give up, u tube has some really good tutorials. Or maybe your lqs would have a class on it or if you have a local guild ask someone to help you. We quilters are always willing to help out newbies.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM

I have always hate the binding part. I do pretty well with it, but its not my favorite part of quilting.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 AM

When I started quilting a couple of years ago, I hated binding, too. Then my daughter gave me the Fons and Porter binding tool in a sewing basket she put together for my Christmas present. OMG! It solved all my problems and I told her it was the best gift I've ever gotten! Keep trying different methods, watch videos, etc. Once I "got it", binding has become my favorite part of the process!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM

That was really a great binding tute. Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158701.png