Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Spots on quilt!! >

Spots on quilt!!

Spots on quilt!!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi19
I just looked on line. They suggest lemon juice and salt. Just type in "removing rust stains from fabric" and there are a lot of websites that give directions. I found several that gave home remedies that you might try before you purchase something. It sounds like it may be a mark from a safety pin so it probably is some sort of rust. Good luck.
The lemon juice and salt then leaving in the sun for awhile really works. I've done it before.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Kiss Off is a stain remover found in some art stores.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
I found Whink online. Here's the link: http://www.whink.com/product_info.ph...products_id=29
Thank you Dawn Marie. I have some old things of my great-grandmother's. Maybe this will take out the stains.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Most probably the "rust" stains are actually acid stains from being stored in a wooden drawer or cedar chest. Cedar chests continue to "bleed" oil for years. Other types of wood also excrete oils. I would not try rust remover; use another type of cleaner that others have already suggeste here, after securing the top by basting it securely to a backing of some sort. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
Most probably the "rust" stains are actually acid stains from being stored in a wooden drawer or cedar chest. Cedar chests continue to "bleed" oil for years. Other types of wood also excrete oils. I would not try rust remover; use another type of cleaner that others have already suggeste here, after securing the top by basting it securely to a backing of some sort. Good luck.
Carolynjo, Thank you. I will definately try this.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I have used fresh lemon juice and then put it in sunlight to dry with good results!
And Peroxide in sunlight is another way. Not too long in the sun,
Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM

i would try oxiclean, make a paste with it and put it on the stain let sit maybe overnight and wipe it off with clear water,
i have gotten dried blood and grass stains out of a white dress shirt with oxyclean, if it didnt come out all the way the first time try again
Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Please do not use CLR it's for hard surfaces, and I think it might damage your fabric.
If you use any acid.. like lemon or lime juice it should be thoroughly washed out.. or it will eventually eat a hole in the fabric.. it may take some time.. but it WILL happen. I would go with the retro clean or granny's something made for fabric and made to use on older textiles.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Cute quilt, great for a baby. Hope you have some luck with the posted ideas. Let us know which one worked.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Have you heard of Nelsphatha Soap Bar? it gets out the worst stains ever, need to wear gloves when using it, as it has very caustic ingriedients in it...lye is one of them I think. Cost about $5.00 at grocerystore in laundry /stains section.