Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clean up your sewing room. >

Clean up your sewing room.

Clean up your sewing room.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I keep my sewing room cleaned up as I go. Putting rulers away after cutting. Making sure threads get in the trash, etc.
If I clean as I go and put things away as I use them then the clutter doesn't acumulate.
After finishing each project I clean/oil my machine and vacuum
the carpets. I fill out information in my journal. If its a charity quilt and I have quilted it I take a picture for my journal.
If I will be taking it to my longarm quilter I wili hang the quilt/backing up in the closet.
So when I start a new quilt my sewing room is clean
and I'm ready to sew.
:lol:
You are who I wanna be when I grow up!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Well I'm doing really well. I have all the interfacings seperated & in big zip bags. All the stablizer back in right place. I have bought the clear vinyl in small lots from the remants pile at Walmart for a while. I didn't know I had so much till I got it seperated. Now that is all in it's place. I hope today I can finish the job. I have 12 Christmas stockings that I made last Jan or it may have been the year before that all need names & cufffs on. They are for Mom's house & I promised her I would get them done before next Christmas. I am doing better about the threads on the floor ever since I made a pinchushion with the thread catcher bag. This is really a neat invention. I promise I am going to do better this year about keeping my place cleaner. What got me started was Dh needed some file folders & I had to look in a lot of different places & they were in the house all the time. Ha.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM

All you tidy people are such an inspiration! Even though I try to put every little thing away, I seem to only get half way done before I'm interrupted. And having several projects going on at once doesn't help!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM

I try to straighten up after each project, however, when I do DH will come in and tell me he cannot see where I cleaned anything up. I always feel a little clutter is good. As long as my sewing machine area and cutting area is clean, I'm happy.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by lyndad
My DH never asks or says anything about my stashes, he just laughs and says as long as it makes you happy.
Your DH sounds like mine. He says he just wants me to be happy.
Mine too. I sometimes wonder if it's because it keeps me in the sewing room and he can watch TV uninterrupted.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
My hubby was home sick last week....and I came home from Joann's with a bunch of flannel and a couple from the closeout tables....I forgot he was home! Just walked in and he said " and I suppose that these fabrics just wanted to go for a ride?"... :oops:
Wish my DH would have that sense of humor - I have mine hidden in my walk in closet -that at the moment can not be walked in - can barely open the folding door - OMG
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM

I'm moving and even though I went through all of my fabric and folded it a year ago-I'm getting rid of a lot-especially fashion fabrics. I work in a doctor's office and I used to make matching scrub tops for everyone as an excuse to buy cute fabric. We no longer wear scrubs so I have 5-6 yards of some pieces. Hopefully some quilters will come to our garage sale this weekend & help me out. I try to only buy fabric for current projects but some fabric just calls out to me.

I've promised myself I will make a pillowcase or charity quilt out of my stash at least once a month to try to whittle it down.

I had a sewing buddy who used to say that she loved her stash because it represented unlimited possiblities and she could look at it and dream.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

yes I cleaned mine last week, got everything organized, now where did I put that material?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

lol

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
My hubby was home sick last week....and I came home from Joann's with a bunch of flannel and a couple from the closeout tables....I forgot he was home! Just walked in and he said " and I suppose that these fabrics just wanted to go for a ride?"... :oops:
He was delirious from being sick
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Japonica
Originally Posted by lyndad
My DH never asks or says anything about my stashes, he just laughs and says as long as it makes you happy.
Mine says I am like that commercial for IKEA where the lady drives up in a tractor trailer yelling they're having a sale, I'm going back for more!!!! :roll: :lol:
That's me too...lol...I have been to JoAnns 5 times in the last week and yesterday, besides JoAnns I went to Hobby Lobby and 3 LQS. And I couldn't possibly walk out of any of them empty handed. The last shop I went to is the one that really got me in trouble though. I got 2 panels for 50% off and I bought to end of bolts for 50% off (5 1/3 yds total for those 2) and 2 more yds at 50% off and then I just had to have these 2 red and white pieces for a quilt I am planning. I spent $60.00 but I got a total of 9 1/3 yds plus the 2 panels.