Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down Longarms >

Sit-down Longarms

Sit-down Longarms

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM

I would recommend going to a show where you could see and test drive all the machines. When I did this I found out that certain ones had terrible vibration, my hands constantly shook. With the sit down ones, you will be moving the entire quilt at times which would be more difficult than just moving an easily moved machine. Also consider the work of pinning the sandwich together/pinning it to a set of rollers. For me it's much easier to pin into the frame rather than using safely pins or basting it on a large table or the floor. I can only be sure of the Gammell but they have a rail with a chair that moves on it in front of the machine available, you said cost is of no concern. That would take care of the sit down issue. These are some things to think about, but I personally would actually see the machines in person before buying one. Also most of the machines are not complicated and most offer classes, CD's for maintainance/problems, as well as excellant over the phone advice so having a dealer next door isn't as necessary as with a DSM. Best wishes in you search and enjoy the new adventure. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I'm seeing lots of A1 owners on this thread! Hi girls!!
Hi Shelley!! I should be using mine right now! Glad to meet you. We should form our own little group!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM

My suggestion is to try as many as you can or at least ask for brouchures. I did alot of research before I got on and have never regretted my decision but mine is a 24" with a 12' table and it sounds like thats more than you want. Regardless, just try as many and take your time. You won't be sorry. Good Luck
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM

I don't have an A-1 but I love the idea of a longarm group. I have so much to learn and confidence is what I need. I think it would be very helpful to all longarmara's.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM

I love my Noltingl, I have never had any problems with it and it is a real work horse. I have a friend that lives near by and she has helped me so much. I still work full time so my time is limited but it is always there for me. Kinda like a BFF. LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shirleyg
I don't have an A-1 but I love the idea of a longarm group. I have so much to learn and confidence is what I need. I think it would be very helpful to all longarmara's.
Let's do it! But how? Form a buddy group?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Funny this topic should come up. I was on line this morning looking at Bailey home quilters. They have three sizes all close to, if not under, $2000. They have some on sale that are even cheaper. I'm trying to convince my husband that I really NEED a mid arm machine and these are pretty inexpensive as they go. Good luck and we'd really like to know which one you choose.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM

I agree, try everyone of the long arms that you are thinking of buying -
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Just information; I heard from my Bernina dealer that Pfaff is going under. Can't really guarantee that is good info but he said he and a Pfaff dealer play golf together and that is what his friend said.

Just thought I would throw that out as it would be something to consider if you are in the market for a machine. It would be a deal buster for me.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 PM

Wow! Who would have thought it!