Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 03-20-2016, 06:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545399[/ATTACH]I think I like them better this way
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 AM

I like them that way too, dhanke. Love your border fabric.

It sure made up lovely in batiks, Jaba.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dhanke View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545399[/ATTACH]I think I like them better this way
I agree, by turning them a quarter turn you lose the pineapples but it seems to make the stars sparkle more. Yes, I too like it better without the colored strips. Lets the eye focus more on the pretty blocks. I'm starting over with new stars to see if I can correct the cut off points, before I sew the side strips.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:44 AM

dhanke, I agree that turning the blocks makes the stars show up more. Fun to play with. I have the same dilemma with a busy print I was planning to use for the border. I thought it would draw all the colors together but I have decided not to use it. Way too busy with this pattern. Maybe just as binding. ???

Bluebonnets, Beautiful with 12 blocks. The four center squares really show up. For some reason, this looks very Texan to me. What do I know coming from the Pacific Northwest.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Oh my goodness, what a bunch of busy bees everyove one was yesterday! Don't ask me to vote on a favorite, I absolutely them all. And thank you for all the kind words on this pattern. I think it is one of my favorite mysteries.

joes'mom - your colors are fabulous, now I don't like my runner anymore!

wow jaba striking colors, just wonderful runner.

dhanke, love that you are going to make a square. Wqll hanging or table topper?

In the square sizes, don't you all love the way the colors make a secondary pattern and a third, when the darks touch and the lights touch each other? I think this is a stunning wall hanging. My daughter wants me to use purple and gray with a little black for their bedroom, and I just might make 4 wide by 2 high for them.

Bluebonnets I just love your browns, it is stunning. What are you going to use this for? Love the 9-block arrangement.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Wow ladies, these are so beautiful. I love pineapples and these sure remind me of them. Bluebonnets says southwest to me. All are just great. Again same pattern different fabrics whole different look each time. Love it.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Confused? Cut 4 of each? So we need 8 strips of each size? Thanx
Old 03-20-2016, 09:56 AM

It's so much fun to see all the different versions!

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I agree, by turning them a quarter turn you lose the pineapples but it seems to make the stars sparkle more.
Could you explain what is meant by 'lose the pineapples'. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure what 'the pineapple' is.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:26 AM

Wow, I could be so addicted to this block...finally able to sew.....due to construction the electricity has been off and on all weekend till now (water and gas lines also) but finally no workmen tromping around and actually could sew not just line the pieces up......did not lose star points, block measures 13 X 13 so finished size hopefully will be 12 1/2 X 12 1/2 and this block is perfect for gaining leaders and enders....25 light & medium, so starting to fill that bin again. Oh..the truck just came back......need a hand crank machine ! (and an iron with batteries )
Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post

In the square sizes, don't you all love the way the colors make a secondary pattern and a third, when the darks touch and the lights touch each other? I think this is a stunning wall hanging. My daughter wants me to use purple and gray with a little black for their bedroom, and I just might make 4 wide by 2 high for them.

Bluebonnets I just love your browns, it is stunning. What are you going to use this for? Love the 9-block arrangement.
I love the secondary patterns as well. I am mostly out of the color fat quarters, but I have several Browns and creams. I also have a dark red plaid that I might use. I plan to add a small border to get the square to 40" and then I hope to surround with 10" blocks of some kind in the browns and creams to make a border and perhaps finish off with the plaid. But that depends. I hope to keep most of the colors in the center. Will see.

DH likes a cold house so it will be a throw in the livingroom. Been awhile since I've made a new one. Thanks for the comments!