Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-29-2024, 05:14 PM

It isn't my mojo -- it's my sewing machine!! Until I decide on a new machine, I was going to bring out my portable class machine but today instead of doing that I talked myself in to why putting my vintage machine up so I can take my portable machine to my group tomorrow is a better idea.

I did go through my available backs and I have a nice dark more royal than navy blue that will work fine.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:09 AM

I took my portable machine to sewing group yesterday and warmed up with my triangle units for the outer border. Going to finish up the last couple of seams on those and then work at finishing up my top. Will take down the vintage and use the portable.

Portable machine is not the deluxe experience of Cranky Bernie, but it works!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:40 AM

I just finished all my small blocks in the clues. Now on to the larger assembly of them! Yeah! Still loving my Bernina 475 although it doesn't stop when the bobbin runs out and I air stitched about 9 little blocks yesterday!
Old 01-31-2024, 01:16 PM

I've been reminded that it takes much more mental energy to put blocks together than it does to do the repetitive work of unit construction. So slow going, but a little progress each day is better than none. (That reminds me of one of my favorite quilt sayings: It takes a long time to finish a quilt you're not working on.)
Old 02-01-2024, 06:20 AM

I love your quote, Joe'smom!

I got a lot done yesterday, my triangle blocks are all in border units and most of the rows are put together on the diagonals. Think I have 3 more seams to go for the center. I also cut the inner borders, I'm using very pale white on whites I got with my package of fat eighths so I'll have to piece those. The portable machine has been great with the 1/4" seam, but some of the thick/complex seams give it a little bit of trouble. I'm trimming and stay stitching the edges as I put together rows -- there is a sizeable pile of trims in the trash can. I know some people do things with scraps like those but I'm figuring they gave what they had to the current project and that was enough. I do like Bonnie's description of "doing a victory lap" around the outer edges but I prefer working with smaller segments. Again, the portable machine is doing just fine with one of the quarter inch quilting foot's feet just off the outer edge.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:00 AM

I got the center/bed of my top all put together yesterday and all the rough edges trimmed off. Hooray! Today I am deciding on how to put the borders on and whether I am putting the red or the blue on the outside edge. I think I want to put on at least the two inner borders on with mitered edges in one trip -- I think Macybaby also did that. So today I have some design decisions on how I want to do that. I can put on the two, and then the outer border, or I can put all three borders on, either remaking the corner units or fitting in them in.

Also deciding on the binding, currently leaning towards using the dark blue I used for the inner border as the binding.

I won't be quilting this right away but I like to have all parts together before it goes in the "to be quilted" bin, where among other projects this will join the Rhododendron Garden top from two years ago (I missed last year).
Old 02-02-2024, 08:05 AM

Iceblossom, it sounds like you're making great progress!

I think my border uniits might end up being problematic, as I put a bright and a dull blue together in a single unit. Having seen quite a few borders now, I prefer the borders I've seen that have been fairly consistent. I think the ones like mine, with extreme variety, are harder to take in. So I've also been contemplating turning the units the other way so that I have consistency at the edge of the quilt.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:27 AM

That's basically the issue I'm dealing with Joe'smom -- I did the units as directed with non-matching sides. I think a consistent blue might be the better option but again, one of those mystery elements and if I had known then what I know now I might have made different decisions.

I have the top laid out in the still empty guest room with the door shut so the dogs don't help... with the way the red triangles go in the body of the quilt. I sort of like the as-Bonnie designed better, but I still like that consistent red edge.

I'm using diagonal seams to put together the white-on-whites from the fat 8ths for the inner border. Doing it that way I am just a tiny bit short with 4 pieces. Will need to add one more small piece to each side. The piece I'm using for the dark blue border was a thrift store piece with a big chunk out of one corner. I cut the strips from the short side and needed 3 pieces for each side -- unfortunately I was one short. Fortunately I still have plenty of yardage and can cut a full strip and still have enough for the binding if I go that way. I should probably look at it along with the more dark royal than navy back I'm planning on using, that might make another design decision for me.

My usual goal for each of these projects is to have the top done by Valentine's Day -- I'm still on track for that finish. For those that are still working away -- good for you and keep going! Remember to print out any sections you might need soon, the free clues will be taken down soon.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:52 AM

LOL well that was a quick yuck and move on. Hated the dark blue I cut next to the backing, which is much more medium in real life than my mental image... I could still use the dark blue as the inner border but not as the binding.

I do have a nice chunk of a large scale light/medium blue print I didn't use in the quilt. I'm liking the way it works/merges with the blues when I turn the blue edges up on the border and think it would finish off as a binding too. Plus I don't get the yuck! reaction next to the back.

So first picture is the back on the top, second picture shows the light blue border/binding with red edges.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6475.jpg   100_6476.jpg  
Old 02-02-2024, 09:21 AM

Hubby came by to see what I was doing, I showed him the options - he went for the dark blue, red points out (Bonnie design) and the large scale light blue as the binding.

I'm still thinking...
Attached Thumbnails 100_6477.jpg