Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • problem with machine quilting >
  • problem with machine quilting

• problem with machine quilting

Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Using the sharpie is a great idea!
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:14 PM

It might be how fast or slow you are feeding the fabric, that affects the looks of the stitches too. I have the espire which is pretty much the same as yours. I find if i go too fast my stitches don't look as good. Maybe take a machine quilting class because they can probably teach you how to get the best stitch on your machine
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I had the same problem on some black borders I did. No amount of playing with tension could ever get it right for me, but I just couldn't face using the same color thread front and back.

Promise not to laugh and I'll tell you what I did to "fix it." Promise?........

I got the tension issues to the best point I could, but the little with dots still showed on the front but the black quit showing on the back. I quilted it to the best of my limited abilities and then.....................got out my fine tipped sharpie marker and colored the thread dots on the front black. Several washings later you still can't tell, so in my book it worked.

Just promise not to tell the quilt police on me.
    Ditto! I did the same thing! Worked like a charm!
    Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Sharpies are a wonderful invention.
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 PM

I find I have to use the same color almost on top and bottom, unless the top is variegated. I use a lot of that. If I'm doing a white area on the top, I switch to a white bobbin. I use Bottom Line for my bobbins on my longarm. Lots of colors. If you use the same kind of thread all the time for your bobbins, switching colors doesn't make your tension change.

Cynthia
    Old 02-26-2011, 04:58 PM

i had the same problem. i too had to get some fabric paint and color all the dots. quit a process, from now on i will use one color thread!
    Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

you may want to try using a clear nylon thread on one side and color on the other and then adjusting the tensions. that way the clear thread will not show on the opposite side. or another idea is to try using a bobbin thread on the bottom that is a little different weight than the other thread so it won't pull through to the top as much if at all.
    Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

that 's a great idea! i have been wanting to try that clear nylon thread. thank you, this board is so great. so many great and experenced quilters!!
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM

You might try easing up the pressure, the way you would ease up with a regular presser foot on thicker fabric. All SMs have a foot-pressure control, even using FMQ. Hope this helps.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I had the same problem on some black borders I did. No amount of playing with tension could ever get it right for me, but I just couldn't face using the same color thread front and back.

Promise not to laugh and I'll tell you what I did to "fix it." Promise?........

I got the tension issues to the best point I could, but the little with dots still showed on the front but the black quit showing on the back. I quilted it to the best of my limited abilities and then.....................got out my fine tipped sharpie marker and colored the thread dots on the front black. Several washings later you still can't tell, so in my book it worked.

Just promise not to tell the quilt police on me.
    LOL! I do this to scratches on my furniture, shhh! I was looking for some red fabric with black polka dots for a ladybug quilt but all I could find was red with white dots. The quilt shop owner actually suggested that I color the dots with a black pigma marker. Apparently there are more of us that cheat than we'd care to mention. I went to a different shop and finally found what I needed. I say...hey, whatever works!