Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I NEED HELP >

I NEED HELP

I NEED HELP

Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

One day I asked my 94 year old mother (with a super memory) if they used quilting thread at their quilting bees. She said they had for a while, but in the 1950s the thread got to be such poor quality that they switched to using doubled sewing thread. Go with whatever works best for you.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DewDropInn4Coughfee
could someone tell me....what brand of quilting thread is better
There is no right answer to this. Are you quilting by hand, domestic sewing machine, or longarm? Do you prefer cotton or silk, rayon or polyester? Do you want your threads to shine or blend into the fabric? Do you like variegated or solid? Are you stitching in the ditch or making a pattern across the block? Do you want the quilting to show or be invisible? Even after all those questions are answered, it still comes down to personal preference, availability, and your budget.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Check out Superior Threads. They have all kinds of different threads, for quilting, piecing and decorative stitching. All the threads I used have been wonderful, and their service is great.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM

I am a very frugal quilter, and with a limited budget, I buy any name brand (mettler, coats clark,etc).thread at auction and yard sales, and use it all for machine piecing. I stay away from wal mart, and off brand threads. My Janome likes all threads, except for Wal Mart and K mart, and other dusty wrapped threads. I hand top stitch with quilting thread, and I run it through bees wax to add to the stiffness. any good brand works for me. I don't hand piece with the thinner sulkies though, they work better for me in the machine. I use neutral colors in greys and tans for most machine and hand piecing, but if I am doing a dark quilt, I use whatever is closest dark color.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by DewDropInn4Coughfee
I live in a town that is small....only 1 store here carries quilting thread...does anyone know {on-line} a good site to buy quilting thread and supplies...and what kind of quilting thread is the most durable
I live in a rural area also, so I buy most of my material and thread online. I buy most of my quilting thread from Connecting threads including hand quilting thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM

I hand quilt and use Hand quilting thread. Any store that sells a display of threads will have it or any online site with threads sells it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM

I use thread from Connecting Threads. I don't have any problems with them and the prices are reasonable. I also LOVE King Tut thread, mostly for their color choices. I like to use variable colors when doing the actual quilting. I usually stock up on King Tut thread when I go to a quilt show.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Allthreads.com has their Robsion Anton on sale for $3.49 per spool plus free shipping.They also sell the 25wt hand quilting thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

I use Robison Anton thread and order it on the phone At $3.00 a spool and its delivers it to the house . I'm in a wheel chair so I don't drive anymore. Hope this help you. Oh yes this is embroidery thread. Ruth at [email protected]
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

I use Robison Anton thread and order it on the phone At $3.00 a spool and its delivers it to the house . I'm in a wheel chair so I don't drive anymore. Hope this help you. Oh yes this is embroidery thread. Ruth at [email protected]