Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.) >

2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.)

2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.)

Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by countryone77
Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by countryone77
I can see where this would work, but ONLY if the strips were cut straight.

I saw some posts about precut strips not even being cut straight. In those cases, one could not use this method or, one would be sewing crooked seams.
You need to go back and read this again!!! Yes, they are often cut crooked. This is the solution for getting accurate size pieces. The finished pieces are measured this way, not the seam allowances.
I don't see it.

If the left side is crooked (moves in and out), then my seam will also be crooked (move in and out). I don't see how that works.

If the left side is straight, but the width is incorrect, then it will work, as my seam will be straight.

The article says this is not a cure-all.
Not sure I can cut and paste this....got it.

The fabric strips are positioned right sides together, paying close attention to keep the raw edges aligned at the left edge. As the strips are sewn together, care is taken to keep the left edges alligned with the tape strip. If there is any variation in strip width, it will fall within the seam allowance.

This is what you are missing. You don't go in and out with the left side. You keep a steady pace as you sew and any small variation on the left side will be taken care of when you add the next strip. Eventually the left side becomes a right side.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by np3
The fabric strips are positioned right sides together, paying close attention to keep the raw edges aligned at the left edge. As the strips are sewn together, care is taken to keep the left edges alligned with the tape strip. If there is any variation in strip width, it will fall within the seam allowance.

This is what you are missing. You don't go in and out with the left side. You keep a steady pace as you sew and any small variation on the left side will be taken care of when you add the next strip. Eventually the left side becomes a right side.
I still don't see it. If that left side is crooked, how can that give one a straight seam? I can only see it working if that left side is straight.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
np3
Power Poster

I'm sorry if this doesn't work for you. It is a wonderful technique and makes using Bali Pops so much better. The finished width of my strip pair is now consistently 4 1/2" wide and is great for sub-cuts.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Debbie, you are so clever. Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

It just makes too much sense. Thanks. That might help with my inconsistant 1/4" also.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM

I finally figured this out on my own using strips and squares some ladies in their upper 80s had cut and not used---but it took about 40 wonky tops for the light bulb to light!
However,people who are cold do not care--or even notice.....
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

What a wonderful tip. I have found many of the Bali pops I purchased are not really 2.5". This solves the problem. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

What a wonderful tip. I have found many of the Bali pops I purchased are not really 2.5". This solves the problem. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Ok I guess I should have said would you accept 35 inches for a yard? I bought Bali pops once and they were cut inaccurately and wonky. At 39 bucks for what is 100 inches of fabric, they should be cut accurately no matter where in the world they are being cut or by whom. IMO, there is no excuse for Hoffman's poor quality control in this area.

This is a great way to fix the problem but the real way to fix the problem is to NOT pay Hoffman for a poorly cut product.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
Ok I guess I should have said would you accept 35 inches for a yard? I bought Bali pops once and they were cut inaccurately and wonky. At 39 bucks for what is 100 inches of fabric, they should be cut accurately no matter where in the world they are being cut or by whom. IMO, there is no excuse for Hoffman's poor quality control in this area.

This is a great way to fix the problem but the real way to fix the problem is to NOT pay Hoffman for a poorly cut product.
Sorry you feel that way.