Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting EQ worth it? >

Getting EQ worth it?

Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM

I have had all three EQ5,6,7. I didn't like not being able to easily scan prints to scale with EQ5; but that may have just been user error. It's not that I couldn't get them scanned there...just not anywhere near close to scale to represent color correctly. I also tried downloading fabric images (choose bmp for type) from Joann's & directly from mfr., but most were scanned at such a small size they too didn't always "read" well for color. I haven't used my EQ7 yet, but hear "that area" is much improved from reviews.

I am also counting on EQ7 to allow more mixed-block sizes in a quilt fitting together, meaning if I don't want all equal sized blocks, but using some squares, some rectangles, etc. If anyone using EQ7 knows, I would appreciate the feedback as well.

Cheapest design tool is to use MS-Word, they have a "Shapes" menu under "Insert". Depending on your version of word, start a new page, then "Insert/shapes" the list should pop up, choose Basic area to find squares, triangles, diamonds, hexagons, tumblers (trapezoid), circles, ovals, etc. In order for them to snap together tightly, find "Page Layout/Align" then you can look down the align list click grid settings...in more recent versions (of Word) you have a couple of choices: snap to grid or snap to "other objects", choose the "snap to other objects" for your shapes to line up perfectly. If you want to add colors to your shapes, click on the shape & then click format, the "shape fill" bucket should show up letting you pick any color to fill the shape with.

Copy all the plain (unfilled) blocks you want before you add color. Rotate works easily as well. You can even select a couple of objects or a whole row & then select Group to easily copy rows if you are duplicating repeats. I may start a thread on this for those who may want a simple color auditioning tool with shapes, & can't afford other design software.

It certainly will NOT help you figure the yardage, but you could print a design (like a 1-page whole quilt), then print each individual shape to scale on cardstock. Then using an "Add-a-quarter ruler" trace the 1/4" (or more) seam allowance around the shape & cut these out on the newly drawn seam allowance line as a template.

Sorry this is such a long post. Just a freebie for most.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM

someone else recommended Excel...here's the post:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105549-1.htm
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

cabinfever wrote: I am also counting on EQ7 to allow more mixed-block sizes in a quilt fitting together, meaning if I don't want all equal sized blocks, but using some squares, some rectangles, etc. If anyone using EQ7 knows, I would appreciate the feedback as well.

This is one of my problems too. I would like to find how to lay out all sorts of sizes and shapes in ONE quilt, then figure out how much background & sashing I will need. I have several panels that have odd size complimentary blocks and I did one on my desitn wall, had to change it several times, and it would have been nice to do it on my EQ7. I am a visual learner, and need someone to "show me"..
So, if you can help, PM me and I would be so grateful. I plan to call Penny McMorris as suggested by Iamquilter.
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I suck when it comes to drawing templates. I suck when it comes to the math of figuring out how big the pieces should be (with the seam allowance). Which is unfortunate because my original quilt ideas need templates. And I'm terrible at figuring out yardage (foolishly thought I could make a decent sized quilt with a total of two yards of fabric---if that's any indication).

So I want to get EQ so I can make templates for my designs without having to ask a board member for help. But I went on the website and its like $189 for the software. Ebay didn't give me anything cheaper either. Even the older versions are well over $100. For that kind of money I could buy a hard drive for my XBox and probably a cheap game (not even including my discount at Wal-Mart). On the other hand I really need something that I can draw out my blocks, make templates, and figure yardage.

Is EQ really worth the price?
Yes, it is if your into making up your own designs get the EQ7, it can do a lot more. You can add your own stash to your own library and use that to draw your own templates and see what it will look like before you cut anything. Also it will do all the math for you. I bought one last year and I love it. It helped me a lot because I can use my own stash to see my quilt before I even start to cut it. It's worth the money.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Quilt Pro has a MAC version.
http://quiltpro.com/go.php?id=QP5_mainpage_Mac
Last year Quilt-Pro Systems brought out a major upgrade of Quilt-Pro for Windows (version 6). The current version for the Mac is still 5. They told me that Quilt-Pro Version 6 for Macs is under development and will be introduced some time this year, but they would not give me any time frame for it.

While they do have reduced prices on their upgrades, if you are not in a hurry and are "pinching pennies", then you may wait to for the release of the new version.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

I have EQ5 and LOVE it. I want to get EQ7 because I enjoy making very complex paper piecing designs and EQ7 will give me more flexibility. I am interested in selling my EQ5. I have all the original software disks, packaging, owner manual (detailed) and a quick start book. Please e-mail me privately if you are interested. I have a pay pal account to make payment easy and safe for you. Thanks.
Johanna in WI
[email protected]
Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Our quiltiing Guild had a lady come in and do a show on it last Tuesday and I want it as well but was told that if you are new to computers or quilting the wizzard is the best to get. So it is up to you.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 PM

I forgot to say: There are videos at the EQ website. I found watching them very useful and then looking in the manual after the video. It is great-design quilt, blocks, get cutting instructions and fabric amounts. Great program!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Quite frankly, I like EQ5 best. I have both and 6 and 7, but go back to 5 when I really want to do something. Buy it used and upgrade later on. They have some classes on EQ University that you can take to learn easier. The book is well written as well. Post an ISO here and see who might be willing to sell theirs. I can't because if I lose my harddrive again, I can't install 6 or 7 without 5 first. Good luck and it will open a new world for you.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by gypsylady5
I can't because if I lose my harddrive again, I can't install 6 or 7 without 5 first.
You don't need EQ6 on your hard drive in order to use the upgrade version of EQ7. You just need the serial/license number for your registered copy of EQ6.

So in case your hard drive crashes again - and I really, really hope it never happens - you don't have to load EQ5, then install the upgrade to EQ6 and then install the upgrade to EQ7.
http://www.electricquilt.com/Support...sp#Upgradeonly

Just saying. ;-)