Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting EQ worth it? >

Getting EQ worth it?

Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 AM

I suck when it comes to drawing templates. I suck when it comes to the math of figuring out how big the pieces should be (with the seam allowance). Which is unfortunate because my original quilt ideas need templates. And I'm terrible at figuring out yardage (foolishly thought I could make a decent sized quilt with a total of two yards of fabric---if that's any indication).

So I want to get EQ so I can make templates for my designs without having to ask a board member for help. But I went on the website and its like $189 for the software. Ebay didn't give me anything cheaper either. Even the older versions are well over $100. For that kind of money I could buy a hard drive for my XBox and probably a cheap game (not even including my discount at Wal-Mart). On the other hand I really need something that I can draw out my blocks, make templates, and figure yardage.

Is EQ really worth the price?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I really think it is :D:D:D
However, if you consider the amount of enjoyment and entertainment you can get out of this program, it is very comparable to a game box and game :wink:

Maybe try ebay and look for EQ5, it will do all that you are mentioning above and is much more reasonable than EQ6 or EQ7. I have seen EQ5 for $50 on ebay before :D:D:D
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM

I have it and use it a lot. For something less expensive try Quilt Design Wizard. It's a scaled back version of EQ but does the yardage and templates. It would be a good place to start and is under $50. Use a coupon at Joann's and get an even better deal.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM

I bought EQ and have hardly used it. However I have not tried designing my own patterns, yet. I do plan on spending some time here this summer figuring out how to actually really use the program
It sounds like you like to design you own patterns and it may be just the thing you need.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM

YES!! Love it play with it all the time. Here's 2 places for $169.00. I know its a lot of money, but even if you find eq6 and then upgrade to 7 it'll cost you more.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/tacony-eq7.php

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp25482.html
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
MTS
Banned

While I've never used it, Quilt Pro has a "lighter" version of it's main software ($140) 1-2-3 Quilt for only $45. Sort of like Photoshop Elements instead of the mothership program.

http://quiltpro.com/page/productMain

It should be able to do simple quilts and print out templates for you.

There is a version of EQ5 on ebay now for $75/free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Quilt-5...item588d61958b

I think using 5.0 would be great - I used it for years, and probably could have gotten away with NOT upgrading to 6.
But it would most certainly meet your most basic needs.

You could try posting an ISO request in the Classified section. I've seen them before but as the business is conducted via PM, I don't know how successful the buyers were.

But they do come up on eBay every now and then. Keep checking.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

I love mine. you still have to figure out some of the math but it really helps.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I really think it is :D:D:D
However, if you consider the amount of enjoyment and entertainment you can get out of this program, it is very comparable to a game box and game :wink:

Maybe try ebay and look for EQ5, it will do all that you are mentioning above and is much more reasonable than EQ6 or EQ7. I have seen EQ5 for $50 on ebay before :D:D:D
Looked again and did find a couple listings of EQ6 for around $50. Unfortunatly I have to wait another week and a half for payday so they'll gone by then. But at least I'm aware they do have the older versions for a little bit cheaper.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM

OH YES you want to get EQ!! I have done as many as 40 different designs/layouts to accomplish one quilt (that I never was disappointed with!). I had nearly as much fun doing the design as I did making the quilt! I agree with someone that EQ5 is sufficient for your needs. I also agree that the scaled down version like Quilt Pro would be fun for you too. There are no surprises when you have done all the prep work in EQ. Let me show you an example: I only had a 1 1/2 yd remnant to make a quilt. I've shown this quilt before on this forum, since I painted the center to match the remnant fabric. I could not have managed this without first doing it in EQ to assure enough fabric.

top pieced, not quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180407[/ATTACH]

eq5 layout of iris quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180408[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180401.jpe   attachment-180402.bmp  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
While I've never used it, Quilt Pro has a "lighter" version of it's main software ($140) 1-2-3 Quilt for only $45. Sort of like Photoshop Elements instead of the mothership program.

http://quiltpro.com/page/productMain

It should be able to do simple quilts and print out templates for you.

There is a version of EQ5 on ebay now for $75/free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Quilt-5...item588d61958b

I think using 5.0 would be great - I used it for years, and probably could have gotten away with NOT upgrading to 6.
But it would most certainly meet your most basic needs.

You could try posting an ISO request in the Classified section. I've seen them before but as the business is conducted via PM, I don't know how successful the buyers were.

But they do come up on eBay every now and then. Keep checking.
Photoshop Elements and regular Photoshop don't seem to have much difference between them except for the price tag. lol.

Dumb questions but what exactly is an ISO request?