Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut all your threads? >

Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM

You really need to cut them because they can show through some light fabrics if they are a different color. And they can get caught in other parts of the quilt and in your sewing machine. Clip, Clip, Clip. Make it purty!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie
Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have always wondered about the need to cut the threads. Do you cut your threads shorter or leave them dangle on the back of a quilt?

If you cut them - why?
if i reading this right it after you quilt your quilt i take the front thread and bring to the back knot it twice like you tie a shoe string then thread both threads on a needle and go close to the end of thread into the quilt then go through the layer then make sure the knot go thread you hear it pop then about a inch pull thread out then cut but if it the back of the blocks i cut it off
That's exactly how I do it. I'm afraid if I cut the threads close to the knot, that it will be easier for the knot to come loose some day down the road. I'd much rather bury the knot and 2" of thread inside.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I cut them short or I go nuts just knowing they are there.
Me, too!
Me too
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Extra threads hanging can get caught up in stitching and end up creating a thread jam with needle.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 AM

Yes I cut my threads for two reasons, 1. to not see any dark threads through the quilt and 2. I save all my threads and put them out when the weather gets warm for the birds. They use them in their nest. The owner of Clover Hill Quilts here in CT told me that was what she does. I love hearing the birds when I get up in the morning so, I want to make sure they stay.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 AM

I cut them because they bug me and sometimes get caught when I sew blocks or rows together.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:01 AM

Snip ............. everything!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
You've got another sister you didn't know about. I have been an apparel sewer all my life; made wedding gowns, etc. Would never dream of finishing without clipping all threads. I always seem to manage a few I find before I sandwich. I also used to do cross stitch and needlepoint and you need the back looking as good as the front. Old habits die hard, as the say.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 AM
dd

I was always taught that the back should be as neat at the front.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 AM

I usually trim them as I go or as I see them, I try to have my snips handy when I'm pressing if I find any...I do this because they will sometimes get caught up and just cause me issues and I don't like issues.

Buuuut unless it's a dark thread under a light fabric, if I miss a few, I don't stress about it. I'm not vigilant about finding and snipping threads while piecing.