Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The Oddness of Estate Sales >

The Oddness of Estate Sales

The Oddness of Estate Sales

Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Having had to go through this process when my Mom passed away, I learned that nothing you acquire in "this life" is really important. No matter how much value YOU put on it...there is no guarantee that it won't be thrown away or laid out to be sold to the highest bidder when you are gone.

I do feel kinda weird going into homes for estate sales, some of the same emotions that you experience. I think in the long run though that people would rather someone who appreciates and values those belongings end up with them than trashing them. I do agree that the personal items should be removed though!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM

DH and I did some sales for a Realtor that had bought forclosed properties. You would be amazed at the things people just walked away from in that situation. It must be just devastating to loose your home that way. My GS went to one with us and said it felt like we were stealing things. I knew just how he felt, but someone has to clean them out. I guess its the same with the Estate Sales
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM

What creeps me out is when they try to sell open medicines. Who would buy someone's open aspirin, eye drops, toothpaste? I have even seen used denture cups for sale.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM

I don't mind purchasing items from estate sales. I do go in with a respectful bearing, after all, I've been "invited" to the home. I do find it troubling that other people will be very judgemental about the previous resident..."Boy, they never threw anything away,"..."Who reads this stuff?," etc. I think that my mind is eased in knowing that I'm not a "Shopaholic," just buying because its there or cheap...I buy things that I can USE. I will buy well used tools, etc., and know that I will also use them well, just as the previous owner did. I love buying used quilting tools because I know that loving, caring hands used them before me, and that maybe a bit of that love carries over into my work!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM

All of this reminds me of a poem I read in an old 80's craft magazine. I printed it out and keep it where I can see it in my sewing room.

Out of this life, I shall never take
Things of silver and gold I make
All I cherish and hoard away
When I leave, on earth must stay

Though I have toiled for painting rare
To hang on my wall, I must leave it there
Though I call it mine and boast it's worth
I must give it up, when I leave this earth

All that I gather and that I keep
I must leave behind when I fall asleep
And I wonder often, just what I shall own
In that other life when I pass alone

What shall he find and what shall he see
In the soul that answers the call for me?
Shall the great Judge learn, when my task is through
That my soul has gathered some riches too?

Or shall at last, it be mine to find
That all I worked for, I had left behind

I don't know the name of the author but I really liked this poem.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM

wow... that poem kicks my butt, shortround... if i wasn't post?-menopausal, I'd be weeping.

And I really liked this from redbugsullivan:

When I enter estate sales like these, I pray. "God, guide me to the things this person would want me to treasure." Then I move forward in faith, and respect the one that got to go home.
I do not consider myself a highly religious person, but both the poem and the prayer resonate strongly with me. I'll take the prayer with me next time I attend an estate sale.

Thanks everyone.

-- Jillaine
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Swap Hosts

I've been going to estate sales for years. In some homes you have a sense of a happy family having lived there. In others, there is a darkness so much so that I won't buy anything from that particular estate. The upshot of it all is that my husband and son have explicit instructions: when I die the first thing you do is throw out all my old underwear!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM

I agree ... I'll go to garage sales and I LOVE to go to auctions, but the few Estate sales I've ever been to just made me feel kind of creepy ... feels like trespassing
Maybe it's because we thought about holding one after my mom passed away a few yrs ago ... but we didn't, we sold small items in a yard sale and sent unwanted furniture to a friend's auction biz
The thought of a bunch of people parading through the house, full of family things (OUR house growing up) was too much for us ... just too personal. Having to sell the house later was hard enough :(
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Oh boy, I shouldn't have started this. I am a bit emotional right now because my Mom is dying. She has Alzheimer's and in the last week has taken a turn for the worse. My sister and I have tried to prepare ourselves for this, but now that it seems very close, I'm finding it very difficult.
Janet; {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} & many prayers for you, your sister and your mom.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by whispers38
On the lighter side, my children ( 2 grown men) know that I will put things into books, so I told them to make sure that they go through everything when I go. Now because I have told them this, I have decided to have the last laugh. I bought a lace up, black with red lace, merry widow at a sale in an upscale deparmnet store. I washed it and put it underneath my other night gowns. I can just imagine the looks on their faces when they find that.
HAH ! LOL What a great idea ! LOVE IT :)