Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE! >

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 AM

I agree - the walmarts where they do have a fabric section they have decent material. the stores where they don't they put a lot of the precuts in and I haven't seen any that I really like either by color/pattern or quality.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 AM

When WM took out the fabric and put in the precuts in our store they were not impressive at all. There wasn't any I would buy. I have noticed since a lot of the pillowcases and apron sets have been marked down and put in clearance. So be careful about some of these.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 AM

some of the material in walmart is very nice but most of the precuts do seem to be very thin, sheer material, not suitable for quilting in our area and seems to be a blend of materials and not all cotton in our stores.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 AM

Yes beware...I've gone to a couple fabric warehouses and they have fabrics that are great!...then then there are lots that are not so great! Some have very low thread count and that is the sew throughs, had to watch the fiber content because some poly blends were mixed in with the other cotton fabrics. There are times, when you can get a really good buy at wm, but just keep in mind of the amount of time you spend creating a project...do you want it to go down the tube after being used for six months, or do you want it to last through six generations. I vote to purchase the best fabrics you can afford and our time represents out money as well. HAPPY SEWING EVERYONE!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 AM

It might be worth a try. The convenience of ordering on line is a good marketing tool for Walmart. I've tried some of their fabric in the past, and due to my own newness in recognizing better fabric from smelly, wrinkly, or stiff material at a great price, I bought some awful stuff! So, "Buyer beware!" as in most cases today. ;)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Hmmmmm......I would only be interested if they are from quality makers. Otherwise, I need to "feel" my fabrics so I can check them to see how good they really are. I guess you could say I'm a touchy-feely kind of person!!! :D
Me too!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 AM

What they need to do is get it back in the stores! In a lot of rural areas people kept the fabric dept busy and since the whole world does not have access to on line shopping, I think they should consider the people who do all their other shopping there.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM

I have purchased some of that fabric in the store. Some is good, some is not so good. They will take it back if you don't like it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 AM

This is all imported so where is it imported from?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 AM

I have to agree with most here regarding Walmart fabrics. Unless you can touch and feel it, see it I would not buy it. Very little of Walmarts fabrics are of good quality. You also have to be careful and read all it says. I've seen fabric at our Walmart that says 100% cotton and it is so thin you can see through it and they sell that stuff for $3.50 on up per yard.

Once in a while you will be able to buy a better quality from them but it is $5.95 on up per yard and yet it still is not what I would call LQS quality.

I guess I've gotton spoiled by the LQS in a neighboring town which is only about 20 minutes from me who sells the good quality stuff from $5.95 to $9.95 a yard and every week they put some of that same stuff on the $1.98 table to make room for new fabrics coming in.

What little I have bought at Walmarts over the last 6 months I've been giving to my GD who is 8 who loves to sew to use for her dolls and such.

Walmart having two yards for $7 something online is not a good deal especially when you'll have to pay shipping unless they will send it to a local store for pick-up.

So if any of you decide to buy it online "let buyer beware" you sometimes don't get what you pay for.