Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW QUILT Store >

NEW QUILT Store

NEW QUILT Store

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chriswinfabric
My best advice is make sure she loads up on Kona Bay Fabrics.

But, I'm biased....I own Kona Bay:)

http://www.konabay.com
LOL...very subtle! I love Kona Bay fabrics (no affiliation, LOL)
PS. Welcome!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM

I agree with most of what was asked for!I was going to say...I would also like to see a store with seed beads would be nice as I went into a quilt store that had a nice selection and really liked the one stop option.I like the idea of having a space to spread out a quilt for basting or even tying or pinning.I would like it if there was an Accucut Studio die cutter that offered special order cuts.(I had to buy my own and I LOVE it!)Had I had the chance to use one...I may not have invested in one.I'll come back if I think of more but I wish the new store the best of luck in their new endeavor.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 AM

Staff that does not keep following me around. I go into 1 store and it seems the staff is always right behind me watching my every move.
I other store that I go to now says hello, offers coffee and cookies and ask if they can help me. If I say no, the say, just let us know if you need anything. They are always close, but never to close.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:47 AM

Stock fabrics in one place and LEAVE THEM THERE. Every time I visit a certain large shop, they've moved the fabric to a different isle. Batiks, 30s repos, Afrocentrics, licensed, etc. The fabrics are stored on shelving units with rollers and are easy to move around, but it plays havoc with us "seniors" who have difficulty walking. I'd love to go into a shop and go directly the the section of batiks and find it in the same isle it was in two weeks ago - ARE YOU LISTENING HANCOCK??? LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 AM

friendly, knowledgeable staff. I am a new quilter and want lots of classes, lots of advice. I want to feel comfortable coming in with my fabric sample, or idea and having someone able to help me put it all together. Also, crowded bolts and crowded, small aisles don't work for me. I am nearly to the point of needing a scooter to get around, and that puts me unable to visit many quilt shops. I also would like quilting services - someone who could do the long arm quilting in the store. I think it would be fun to watch my quilt being quilted. I love to see examples of quilts, and as with another person that answered this- batiks do it for me!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Swap Hosts

Beginner friendly staff. No quilt police!!!!
Aside from the usual patterns and kits, some crazy quilt materials and classes.
Room for meetings and classes.
Reasonable prices.
Books and magazines - even used ones - who cares!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
customer loyalty perks (punch card for $$ amount spent, not yardage only. I spend tons on things other than yardage and would like to be rewarded)
seating for stitching or looking through books
lots of charm packs
good lighting
totally with that - and it would be nice to have a small sitting area with non-quilting magazines for DH - and when I was younger a small play area for kids fat 1/4s, jelly rolls, layer cakes and lots of different types of fabric !
Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 AM

Lots of room to move around see fabric.If there will be carts make sure you can move around without running into something or someone.I hate it when you cant get a cart through anywhere.Also good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 AM

1. Great fabric choices
2. Email connection with at least once a month contact- if she is not a great writer- find someone who can do it- pictures are also important
3. Every once in awhile, get precuts (strips, charms, etc.) - lots of them and run a sale (ex. buy 3 strip rolls & get to select one of the free patterns offered)
4. Lots of samples made up- some easy & quick too
5. Friendly staff - friendly is even better than knowledgeable- I will be back if you treat me right.
6. Classes - variety of them -
7. Charity projects done in store - once a month
8. Open sew sessions- Monday, Tuesday work well - charge a $3-5 fee- have coffee, water and a few nibbles
9. Scrap bags for sale- every quilt shop has scraps- one of our LQS has a batik bag sale- stuff a zip gallon bag for $10- must be able to zip. You could also change it up to be a "COLOR bag of scraps" or Novelty Scraps or Asian.
10. Snap sacks for sale- have samples done
11. Checking out your competition is most important. Not to undercut them but find out what your "customers" are seeing that they like at your competitor's place.
12. Clean, uncluttered displays
13. Lots of FQs at a good price- have a special quarterly- pun intended-
14. Get large tote bags imprinted with your shop's name and give if customer spends $XXX (typically >$100). When we go to retreats, guess which bag gets packed. Advertising like this works.
15. Clean out your inventory on a regular basis- one LQS has a BOGO sale a couple of times a year- Pink tagged fabrics during October for Breast Cancer Awareness - another BOGO sale is owner choice (all with a yellow tag),
when in doubt- weed it out
16. Take down your old samples- sell, raffle or donate - maybe all three
17. FQ bundles, 5 (1yd) bundles with free patterns (get pretty ribbon to tie) - pretty things sell
18. Teach a scrappers class - They will have scraps or can trade with other attendees- while in your shop during that class they most likely will buy something.
19. I don't get things like interfacing, batting, notions at LQS unless I just can't get it at JoAnn's with coupon. Carry a ruler that your box store doesn't carry like Creative Grids- do a free demo on how to use a new ruler or gadget- schedule 3-4 sessions over a weekend. Give 20% discount if they spend $50 or more. Get them in, show them how you can benefit them and thank them for buying something.

Good luck to your friend!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Friendly & helpful staff---if you need it.
FQ's, FQ's & more FQ's!
Remnant bins.
LOTS of 1930's fabrics.
LOTS of Civil war fabrics.
CLEARANCE section.
LOTS of other fabrics to round out the shop.

Just to name a few! Hope she does well!