Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW QUILT Store >

NEW QUILT Store

NEW QUILT Store

Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 AM

[quote=caspharm]Like: Selection of fabric and notions, classes, notions, polite customer service, sew-in days

Don't like: rudeness, not much choice

If I were going to open a shop, I would do a survey of the area (wants, etc.) like you are doing online and investigate the program offered by the owner of Stitchin' Heaven about learning how to run a quilt shop.

Thank you for your post. Can you please send me info on contacting the owner of stitchin post? I'd apprecite the help and know my friend would too. ! Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve
Anywhere near Austin? just curious where in TX you are. We just had a QB member from CA come to Austin and she was able to round up three of us in the area for lunch and an afternoon of shop hopping. I did a search by location "Texas" but it is hard to round up QB members in a centralized area to come to an event when you only say "Texas" in your location. In a state this big as much as we would love to meet everyone, it would be a little difficult for those from say the Panhandle or the valley to come and join us.

I understand that Texas is BIG, we live in Arlington. Near DFW. We are about 4-5 hours from Austin. But thanks for the 'invite' but with gas the way it is, it'd be a VERY EXPENSIVE lunch then no $ to shop with!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ging10ging
The only quilt shop near me the girls are so helpful with helping choice of fabric. They don't bug you but if you need help they are there and very nice. They also have patterns for at least some of the projects. I think fair prices help you go a long way and of course it has to be reasonable enough to make a profit. The tables sound like a good idea. Mine also has an area where they have a very lg quilting machine. I'm not sure if there is just one person who uses it. I would imagine because it looks like an expensive machine. It's sometimes the little things you can offer your shoppers that really make you feel special and come back often. I have to go pretty soon and I'll look for some ideas for your friend and the very best of luck to her. Will she have a web site and a mail order shop? Sue

Sue, thanks for your post. I am not sure what all she will hae. But in this and time I am sure she will have a web page. I will post it on here once she decides what she is going to do. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 AM

Fabric and more fabric. Also a good clearance bin/section.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Love the above ideas and also GOOD LIGHTING. Not only does it show the merchandise good but it lifts the mood of the customer.
Nothing worse than sour puss sales people.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm late but my 2 cents ... (also worked & taught in 2 LQS a few yrs back) -
As a CUSTOMER I want to see:
Good lighting !!
Inspiring displays with Patterns AVAILABLE
Variety of fabrics ... and more than just 3 fabrics from a line !!
CURRENT books & patterns
A comfy place to SIT and browse new books
Enough classroom space
** MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - FRIENDLY & HELPFUL STAFF !!
You can have ALL the fabric & books in the world, but if your staff is less than friendly & helpful, a shop won't make it !!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM

1. Friendly service that listens to your ideas and helps with questions
2. Occasional free patterns to encourage projects
3. Fabrics that work together for a certain featured project grouped together with the pattern available.
4. Good sales
5. Inexpensive fat quarters
6. Evening hours at least one weekend night!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 PM

A big like I have for our local LQS is, she will hang quilts made by customers. It's nice to see what others in the area are making.

My one disappointment was a class I signed up for. I did not get to choose my fabrics....they were precut, and prepackaged, and not anything I would have chosen. I did purchase the fabric as I really liked the pattern being done. I also paid for what I thought was the course fee. Apparently not....there was another fee for each of the sessions!!! Had I known that, I would not have taken this class. I now have about $250 invested in a quilt that I dont' like, and will likely never finish. I stopped going to the classes as I was not liking the feeling I had each time I went....like I had been "taken". So...be upfront about the TOTAL cost for a class that is more than one session, and let your class attendees pick their own fabrics.

I hope your friend can make a good success of her shop. There has been LOTS of excellent suggestions put forward here!

Patti
Old 05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Stay open passed 5 pm. Stay open Sunday afternoons. Know what is new in the quilting world. New items are introduced weekly. If a shop employee says HUH? Never heard of that before, I don't spend my money there. Know the quilting tools you sell and how to use them. The shop should be very clean with lots of light. Reasonable pricing and friendly staff.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Besides beautiful prints with multi colors, it is extremely important to me, for the store to have "ambience".
I like friendly, chatty people and the warm, cozy look in a nice quilt store. It makes you feel like your in a familiar place.
Also, some stores carry lots of border sized prints, and others carry lots of small prints...carry a variety of scales and you'll get more business.
P.S. lavendar (lilac), is the hardest color to find, I think, and just about all quilters love florals.
hmmm, if you carry all these, wonder where you are? ;-)
P.S.S...lol...after reading several pages, I have to agree:
have seating!
I met with a friend that sews and we had our hubbies with us. Both have medical conditions so it is a must that they be able to sit down.
I myself have to sit after gathering and decide how much of each bolt I am going to leave at the store, lol!
Nice bathroom...for all the obvious reasons.
I can tell that we "creatives" are sensitive and friendly.
Sensitive, just means we have finely tuned senses and most quilters are quite intuitive too! We can smell a snob or a quilt police person, many bolts away! :lol: