Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW QUILT Store >

NEW QUILT Store

NEW QUILT Store

Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM

I love the idea of a big table that's available to sandwich and pin. Our LQS used to have a class room with machines set up so you didn't always have to bring your machine along. This is in a vacation area so it was nice for folks visiting for a little while. They moved to a smaller building and stopped having the classes which I miss because I'm pretty much a beginner and loved learning a new technique. Some classes you could pretty much finish your project in the class and that was always fun.

I like to see the samples made up and if there is a kit available I'm more likely to buy it, especially the panels with cute borders that are quick to put together.

Deby
Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM

lots of quilts hanging on the walls, and kits put together right under them.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Have people work @ a quilt shop, that are really super friendly and really know about fabric and quilting. We have a fairly new quilt shop in Northeast Fl, called Cinnamons Quilt shop. ALL THEIR staff are super sweet.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM

I love the 24/7 idea....how many times have you run out of something and had to have something finished by a certain time and nothing is open...except places with less than quality fabric....I would like to have some one help me with my colors...sometimes I don't like the color of a quilt but not sure what colors to choose. Also have a hard time understanding some of the terms they use in the pattern. I'm not very decisive...I will see a quilt I just love...guess what they are out of one of the fabrics......If you don't have all the fabric to make the sample then take down the sample and replace it with one that you have all the fabrics for. Put that sample in a different area. How about night classes for the day workers. Why not have a free class but the stipulation is you have to buy all your fabric from that store. I went to a shop when I first started and the people in the shop let this poor lady pick out an awful combination of colors,you could tell she was a first timer and instead of helping her by saying...do you need help with color selections.......or having a sign that says we will help you with color selections. They laughed at her choices,after she left the store,now I am afraid to shop there anymore,what must they say about my choices after I leave. So I try to avoid going there unless I have no other choice......don't talk about customers.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM

My first requirement is staff that knows about sewing and quilting. They would be friendly and chatty, but not to talky. One quilt shop really doesn't have much more or less than the next one other than the people who work in the shop. The shop has to feel warm.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Also have an area where people can sale things they have made...sometimes I don't have the time to make something but would just love to buy it already made......like on consignment.......great way for seniors on fixed income to make a little extra money. Even if you make something that might have a flaw in it......most other people wouldn't even know.....some people are perfectionists....not me I would by your projects flaws and all.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Fat quarters that are not on a low rack all jumbled together very hard to get a good look at and see.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Keep the shop fresh and as fragrance free as possible. DON'T have fragranced candles, potpourri (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). It messes with my asthma, and it makes the fabric (IMHO) stink!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM

I hate bad customer service. I worked at Fabricland for 8 years. If any employee of mine responded to a customer request by standing at the counter and pointing, "It's over there," would have some serious retraining. It is a clerk's job to know the inventory and be able to help customers. Fortunately most shops do a great job of this.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM

since i'm new to quilting, i love it when they will offer suggestions and help me try different colors together. Too often they act like they are doing you a favor to wait on you and can't wait until you leave so they can chat on the phone. Good luck with the new venture........