Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people >

Why do people

Why do people

Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

I recently contacted someone on Craigslist regarding an item she was selling. We had several emails going back and forth about it and then I sent an email asking to make arrangements to see it.

I needed to hire a mover to transport it but wanted to see it first so that I wouldn't hire a mover, find out it was not as described and then have to pay the mover.

Apparently she thought I was too much trouble esp since the item was in her summer home. She ignored the first and a followup email and the item disappeared from CL. Fine, I don't blame her for selling it the easiest way possible. But why not even have the courtesy to tell me that she'd found another buyer.

She was a mature woman - 50's / 60's. You'd think she'd been raised with some manners.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Agreed! With everyone! However, another point is sometimes people kind of advertise that they make their items for a certain charity, when they are actually not giving any proceeds to the charity at all and just using the charity for a way to get people in. I was going to order something that I honestly thought was going for charity, until I found out it does not.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi Denise, I'm also sorry this is happening to you. So far I've only made quilts for family and ONLY for the ones I know will appreciate them. This is probably just me but I have no desire to make quilts for hire.
I'm with you. It would then become a job and if I wanted a job I would go back to work :)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM

You are correct. If they are selling, top price is what they want. If they are buying, anything more than free is tooooo much!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Human nature, the buyer wants as inexpensive a price as possible (a good deal) and a seller wants to make as much $ as possible (big profit) ... think of real estate and home sales. It pretty much is applicable to all areas of buying and selling.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM

This reminds me of when I was a Realtor, people expected you to drive all over town to see houses, any time of day or nite, maybe even treat them to lunch and they would disappear .. all that time, energy, gas $ etc and poof. Many had no clue that we didn't get paid a 'salary' but worked on commission when the transaction closed escrow, sometimes many months later. or unfortunately not at all if if fell apart for some reason.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Many, many years ago I agreed to make a couple of dresses for a lady at church. The price was reasonable for both of us, but I was not as skilled as I needed to be and she was pickier than I thought she needed to be. End result, she learned to sew and make her own clothes and I haven't done anything for sale since, except for some craft items. I make what I want, when I want, and do with it as I please. I am much happier that way.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
tons of people think home made things should be cheap! not!!!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
But in the second case, how many of us phone for 'estimates' for something, or just to see what the price is when we are comparison shopping? The person I talking to at the moment may in fact be the one I buy from or contract with, but I don't feel compelled to phone back everyone I got a price or estimate from to tell them that I've chosen someone else.
I agree here. Unless I have led that person to believe that they are the only one I am going to buy for, I don't feel obligated to get back to them and order. What if it is too much? I don't like to tell someone, "I don't want to order from you because you are too expensive." I'd just not order.

However, I wouldn't make that person make up a special bid or offer just for me. If they did go out of their way to make a special plan, etc, then it might be different. Otherwise, they are "just asking" with no obligations at all.

Maybe they just want to plan. I know that in my case, an implant costs... x amount. I am not ready to get one now, but I do need to know how much I need to save up. If I ask now, then, I can start saving. Otherwise, I don't know how much to save. I don't think that my dentist thought I wanted one right now, but rather, that I am interested and may get it some time in the future (when I can afford it).

So, I think that there are two sides at looking at this issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

People ask me all the time what I would charge them to make a queen size quilt and I go right into "Save your pennies and when your piggy bank has $400.00 for a down payment, we'll talk." Most people don't have a clue!