Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB?? >
  • Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

• Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 AM

Mkae SURE that a local doctor will do your follow-up. My husband wanted to go to the Cleveland Clinic for surgery and was told by two doctors that they wouldn't see him through the follow up period. Get a commitment.
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 AM

My nephew's wife had the surger, lost weight as planned, then started packing the pounds back on, and now weighs almost as much as before the surgery.

Also, if something goes wrong, who's going to work with you to fix it? Personally, I would not necessarily trust the sterilization procedures. Like the medicines bought from foreign countries with no guarantees that they contain the "active ingredient", surgery may not be as good as you would get here.

Bottom line, I wouldn't do it.
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 AM

we get all of our dental and meds in Mexico and we are very happy with results our doctors work with us on the Mexican meds I know Ensanado has a wonderful hospital and a lady with a serious head trauma was there and said the care was excellent I am not worried about things in Mexico but some people are so each to his own
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM

Get yourself some good shoes and start RUNNING!

Since the weight is isolated to the bottom area I don't think the "band" is the way to go.

I went on a diet one time, only because there was a little contest at work.
    I went to the store and bought cans and cans of mostly GREEN veggies, and lots of frozen one too, very little carbs. I had 4 or 5 tupperware containers that were divided into thirds. I made up three plates per day and didn't eat until I got hungry no matter what time it was. In six weeks I lost 27 pounds and won the contest by 4 pounds.
    Another time, I went looking for shoes, so after work i would walk the malls for a hour just looking around. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I dropped about 10 pounds.

There is a chart out there that measures food by the 100 calories. Like 3 HEADS of cabbage equals 100 cal. or 2 pounds of green beans equals 100. Can you imagine how much you can eat for a 1000 cals per day. I had one, but I don't know what happened to it. I couldn't eat that much, I would get sick. lol

Get active !

Syl
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 AM

if you are not seriously obese, people have no idea how hard it is to loose that much weight. When I was married I weighed 125 lbs @ 5.5 height-I ran and was very active. I couldn't understand how people could let themselves get so heavy. Wellll-now at 60 and years of no running and poor eating habits --well lets just say I am obese(I hate that word)-I get very discouraged when on a diet- I have lost several people and regained them. I now understand how people can get heavy-it takes time to put it on and more time to take it off. I think because I was so active and could eat anything I wanted I did not grow up with good habits- I wish a good friend would have cautioned me way back when and maybe I would have listened or not-- enough whining!!! I am now on track-hopefully for the last time to loose wieght Chin up Charisma -however you choose to do it,you strike me as a very motivated person and can do anything you set your mind to.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM

My brother had the gastric bypass done twice now. Yes twice..once back in the late 80's...and he just had it done again in 2009. I am over weight..and after seeing him go through it twice...I will NEVER have it done. Maybe the lap band..but never the bypass one. He ended up with a serious infection of the wound and that surgical site had to heal and close its self from the inside out. He had to pack the inside of the hole with gauze for months, on a daily basis. It was a good thing that that part happened to him, as it saved him from one serious complication and health concern. Hats how he found out that he ended up with a hole in his stomach from the surgery, because he would drink and the liquid would pour out his incision site. So to make sure this is what was happening, they added food coloring to his water, he drank it..and wa la la out it came..the nice pretty blue color. (Not to make a joke of it really..but my brother told his doctor he felt like a walking sprinkler system..he looked like it also). So back to the hospital he went. For another 12 days...and the hospital he had to go to was 8 hrs from home to begin with. Plus it is a very well known, highly approved awesome hospital for the midwest.
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM

I had gastric bypass. I am in a group with others who have had both gastric and Lap band. I would not recommend lapband. Those patients have spotty weight loss if any at all. They seem to lose more weight from the diet plan than from the device.

My surgery went well no complications. A friend of mine had bad comnplications. You can PM me is you'd like.
    the only issue I can see from going out of country for surgery is the language barrier.
    I wouldn't suggest flying home right away, you'll be sore. A bumpy car ride was hell 2 days after surgery, I can't imagine a bumpy plane ride!
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

my sister had the gastric bypass done 2 yrs ago and is nearly the same weight as before. that, is not the problem tho. her vitamin, protiens etc levels are so low and she is so anemic that the dr. told her-don't cut herself (while quilting-example) or she could bleed to death. that is a big concern. yes she sees the dr regulary sp, but some folks don't absorb needed vitamins etc when your stomach becomes the sz of a walnut. careful
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 AM

i think your very smart getting all this feedback,, and being careful...
    I have a SIL who has just hit 145lbs LOST... he was thinking the who bypass thing, and his Doc thought it was the only way for him,,, of course, he had to lose 100 before he could start... he then decided... hey, if i can do this!!!! He recently lost is Dad to diabetes... horrible, loss of toe, then leg, then over leg, then eyesight... finally heart... very sad and they were close... In our Family the parents of who you marry become another set of parents to love and care for, so we all feel the loss...
    Sooooooo... Dan is now determined... he's up to the 145 lost, working out 3 times a week,, able to walk and work his own business (not drive around)... he's 42 and we are so proud... he's wanting to address the skin issue, but docs say not yet, it's about the most painful surgery one can have, so wait longer... sorry to babble, but we are so proud of him.
    Also have a friend, who did lapband and he's back and forth for fills/and taking out... very hard to balance that, hiccups and throws up accordingly,,, and still has his belly... some of us are just never going to be either "like we used to be, or how we wish"... I could go on and on,,, but i wish you well, you know what's right for you... but wanted to share the good and the bad... with your talent... and good looks... your fine... i'm 64, been all sizes, done the young stuff,, and now living in the chubby short body that's left... just doing it with positive mind and smile on my face.... Good Luck in whatever you decide... (but i would worry about going out of the country...)... barbara
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingb1
    My DIL is Mexican and has a lot of family still living near the border. She will not get medical care for herself or my grandkids in Mexico even when she is visiting her family. She says you get what you pay for. Don't really know what she bases those feelings on but I think if that is her opinion, I would take no chances. I also know her father crosses the border into America to get his medical care. Please do a lot of research before making your decision. I hope this info helps you.
    I would think that "medical tourism" health services are very different from what the average Mexican person is offered at a local hospital or clinic.

From what we have read, my daughter is a candidate for bariactric surgery, the post surgical problems and long term risks are far higher than most published stats. One needs to be psychologically (as well as physically) a good candidate with good will power because eventually the stomach can (and will) stretch out again and the body will seek to gain weight if you do not remain on a healthy diet for the rest of your life.