Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how is this posted on google when I posted here >

how is this posted on google when I posted here

how is this posted on google when I posted here

Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Melrose V
This board is part of the world wide web (WWW). Anything that is posted on the WWW could show up on any search engine (google, yahoo, bing, etc).
All site operators get to choose whether to allow the information on their site to be included or excluded in Google search results. It is not an automatic thing.

http://www.google.com/addurl/

The QB is not the type of site I would expect to be excluded. I don't know if it's always been like this or if it was a recent change.

I actually find it very handy that it's searchable in Google. The Google search engine is much better at finding specific information on this board than the search function at the top of the page. ;-) ;-)
When I had my own domain name and website (not blogger) my site showed up on google even though I never added my url. I'm pretty sure that it is automatic in most cases.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM

I googled my name once - came up with address and phone number. Nothing is private. So that means all you ladies that posted about bras, etc. now everyone knows.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
I googled my name once - came up with address and phone number. Nothing is private. So that means all you ladies that posted about bras, etc. now everyone knows.
:oops:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Maybe none of us should have our town on here. I am considering taking mine off. Tell me why I should not and I will read your suggestions.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Sorry I think I posted twice.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I'm a little vague about my location as you can see. I can always let a new friend know in a pm.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Owllady
Maybe none of us should have our town on here. I am considering taking mine off. Tell me why I should not and I will read your suggestions.
If you imagine it's like being listed in the phone book, it's not really any different except that instead of only the ppl living in your area being able to read it, the whole world can. It's not really that scary - I have my name, address, email and contact phone numbers on my website because I WANT ppl to be able to find me! :-D
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM

There are tons of people searches out there with your name phone number and address also your e mail address if someone wants to find you they can! This site is just as safe as any that you post on. Or not safe depending on how you feel about it! There are some sites to find out criminal history if you pay a few bucks too. If you are in the white pages or yellow pages of the phone book your info is available for everyone.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Excellent point as to the personal data.

Originally Posted by Up North
There are tons of people searches out there with your name phone number and address also your e mail address if someone wants to find you they can! This site is just as safe as any that you post on. Or not safe depending on how you feel about it! There are some sites to find out criminal history if you pay a few bucks too. If you are in the white pages or yellow pages of the phone book your info is available for everyone.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Search your name on Zaba.com see if it is there. There are tons of other search sites. I found a lot of my classmates from high School on Zabs