Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 AM

You can cut them in squares(6"x6") or any larger size and use for trip around the world or use for backing, but don't stretch it or use for in between for batting. We use double knits all the time for mission or charity quilts. They are warm and never wear out.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 AM

I have some double knits I want to get rid of. If anyone wants them PM me.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 AM

My sister and I have taken the double knit cut it into 2 inch squares, fold in half diagonally sew in strips off setting the triangles half way. When you have lots of strips, take canvas and drawn lines 3/4 inch apart and sew the strips onto the line, finish the edge and you have a rug that is great for doors or garages where all the mud comes in. They wash really easy too.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 AM

I have a 3 rail fence (I think that's what its called) that my Grannie made back in the 70's. Today it is still just as bright as it was then. She used an old blanket to back it. It is heavy! But it is the first one dh and I want in the winter to go on top of our bed! I wouldn't take anything for it.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM

The first quilt I ever pieced was made from double knit squares others had cut. We used a polyester batting and tied it for a comforter, it turned out nicely and ended up being sold at a sale for charity. The sashing was cotton and so was the back, from sheeting.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204191.jpe  
Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 AM

I am head of "Frogs" at my church. We make stuffed frogs out of double knit every month to give to our local hospital. They give them out to the children who are admitted there. Double knits make great frogs! :)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Originally Posted by k9dancer
Our quilting group quilts for others. We are currently swearing at, I mean, working on a quilt that is double knit, sashed with cotton and batted and backed in the usual way. It is a nightmare to hand quilt. If you decide to use double knit, just use two layers of it, do not use a batting, and whatever you do, do not hand quilt it. Just tie it, or better yet, make a rag quilt as you go.

Been there, done that.
HMMMM--the stretchy double knits make you swear????? How odd (hee, hee, hee!)
I have often told the quilt snobs you are not a quilter till you can deal with double kits and the stretch..... :roll:
I call them the true test of a quilter! But I do not mix them with cottons....at least haven't yet....
I got the "you are not a quilter if you make poly knit quilts" attitude....but I make hundreds for charity quilts cause they cannot be hurt--unless you burn them!
Hehehe so funny quilt snobs. I live in a very small town and yet we do have a longarmer. I have been reading so much on here about using sheets as backings but I haven't had the courage to ask her if she will quilt sheet backings because it would make me too mad to see her shudder.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM

I have a "ton" of single & double knits given to me....the single knits I am using Pellon fusible featherweight 91FF, & then I have the stretchy stuff stabilized to use. The rest is is in mostly 3yds. or more knit material & I am going to have a big yard sale & sell it at $3 or $4 a yard, also got over 60 various colors of serger thread, guess you know that gal was a fabriholic
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 AM

My Mom made an eight point star quilt out of double knit. She made it for my DH to take on camping trips. You can imagine what a beating that quilt has taken over the last 27 years. It is still looking good. We no longer camp out. We discovered that just over the hill from the camp grounds is a motel with a hot shower and TV! Okay, maybe we are just getting too old to go camping the real way.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 AM

There is a reason sheets make longarmers shudder. Sheets are percale, very densely woven, high thread count. This makes it hard to get their needles thru, broken needles are a major headache. Ask her how her machine works on sheets and if she shudders you'll know why. Its not snobbery if there is a good reason.