Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Oh, GrammyP that is a very pretty quilt. I forgot to add that Mom-in-law hand quilted all of hers.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Use the double knit for batting with a flannel backing and tie the quilt.

The 60s and 70s tied double knit quilts are Kewl.
You will not be cold with double knit.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
Some fifty years ago I made a double knit double quilt for my parents. It was heavy and warm. My mother passed away in 1997 and she still used it on her bed!! Do not know what happened to it, but if given the chance, I would make another one just for the memories. I tied it with yarn and the fabric was double knit 5 inch squares from scraps left over from sewing other items. :roll: I sure wish I knew what happened to it!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM

My son was born in 1979. My grandmother made him a crib-sized quilt from double knit - then later made him a twin-sized quilt in the same pattern with the same material (or close enough). Still have both those quilts. The borders are hand quilted, but the body is tied.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Power Poster

Are you talking double knit cotton - which can be very stretchy

or

The heavy double knit polyesters? Some of them had/have little or no stretch

Different knits have different characteristics. Some are so stretchy that they can almost double in size in both directions - some are so stable that denim seems stretchy by comparison.

I would use the not very stretchy pieces for utility quilts - the ones that you have in the trunk of your car.

Remember the old pictures of beating out a fire with a quilt? Those were heavy ones made of wool.

I would not try that with a blanket/quilt made of synthetic fibers or a synthetic fiber batting.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by peacebypiece
I made a quilt from doubleknit scraps back in the late 70's when it was popular. I used polyester batting and backed it with a sheet. I still use that quilt in the winter here in Michigan. It's heavy and very warm.

I have 2 doubleknit scrap quilts, 1 made by my mom and another my grandmother purchased back in the 70's...I love them, bright and colorful!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 AM

We had a bunch of large knit scraps and used them to make a frost cover for the garden, also cut into strips and crocheted rugs.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 AM

My mother made many tops from double knit back when. When she passed my sisters kept all of them. They were pretty, she did Grandmas Fan, Hexagon, Trip Around the World.

If you decide to go ahead, sort thru and get rid of what won't work, you know, bad color, too flimsy, etc.

Then cut them into big squares, 10 or 12 inches, so they stack up neatly. Plan to tie them. Somewhere, someone will be cold and downhearted this winter. I would put charity quilts on my short list of things worth doing.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 AM

I have a funky quilt that I bought at a yard sale with a combination of large silk squares (scarves) and polyester double knit squares. It has a sheet for the backing and no batting. I don't think I'll make one soon but it's a lot of fun to look at.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM

Our quilting group quilts for others. We are currently swearing at, I mean, working on a quilt that is double knit, sashed with cotton and batted and backed in the usual way. It is a nightmare to hand quilt. If you decide to use double knit, just use two layers of it, do not use a batting, and whatever you do, do not hand quilt it. Just tie it, or better yet, make a rag quilt as you go.

Been there, done that.