Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew this might happen. >

I knew this might happen.

I knew this might happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Radiana
I'm just sick about what happened last night to my new sewing machine. I bought myself a Brother SE400 for Mother's Day and I was so happy with it. It wasn't ideal for quilting any large projects but I loved it for piecing.

I made a terrible mistake by getting a quarter inch presser foot that I knew could be a problem because it had to have the needle in the middle position. I thought I would be very careful in making sure to align it correctly. In the back of my mind I knew I was playing Russian roulette. Sure enough it happened last night, the needle came crashing done on the presser foot.

Yes, it has happened to me on my Brother 350, but it just broke the needle and that was that. I was concerned tho that the tip of the needle might be down inside. As it turned out, the machine was already threaded and the point was hanging on the thread. Whew!!!!!

I thought it would just be a matter of replacing the needle but I tried two new needles and both broke and the machine is just not working.

I was crying a little after it happened because I know it won't be covered by the warranty and God knows how much it will cost to fix.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so were you able to have it fixed?

I feel so sad because yesterday was a really good day for me, I was missing the grandkids and all of a sudden my son brought them by for a couple of hours. It was such a blessing to me and after they left I was working on the quilt and thinking how nicely it was coming together.

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM

I have a Brother SE 350 and it has happened to me too.
Have you tried to push the needle up button?
Go on the Brother website and tell them what had happened maybe they can advise you as to what to do.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM

It probably bent the needle bar. If that is the problem the only fix is getting the needle bar replaced and possibly the machine will need to be retimed.

GoodLuck

Suzy
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Calm down. Take apart the plate. I'm sure that a piece of the needle is jamming. I broke a needle the other night beccause I was too lazy to remove a pin where I basted. Don't worry it will be fixed!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Put a regular foot on and then use the wheel and hand lower your needle down to see where it hits. It may have messed it up topsize or maybe below in the bobbin. You should also take out the bobbin and make sure nothing fell down there that could keep it from sewing. I'd try several things before I took it to the shop. good luck
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Good Luck, I sure hope its an easy fix
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM

I've done that with my Babylock Espire. Ended up with the needle shaft cracked. Took it back to the dealer and about $100. later(cleaned & maint.) I was back in business. You just have to be careful. It happens to the best of us.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I do that all the time. I have to shut off the machine and turn it back on then set it again. I always say never again but it still happens!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

We've all been there. Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Hopefully, you will find the fix soon. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM

sorry this happened to you! i know our machines are precious to us....